The Effect of Simplex Powder n-Hexane Purification on Asiaticoside Content, Free Radical Scavenging and Total Phenolic Content of Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica (L.) Urban) Ethanolic Extract
It has been proven that gotu kola (Centella asiatica (L.) Urban) have an antioxidant activity that make it possible to use in preventing degenerative illness. The aims of this study are to find the effect of n-hexane purification before maceration on asiaticoside content, free radical scavenging activity and total phenolic content of gotu kola ethanolic extract. The gotu kola extract was made by maceration process using the mix of ethanol and aquadest as solvents in different proportion, which are 100%:0% (E100), 75%:25% (E75), 50%:50% (E50), 25%:75% (E25), and 0%:100% (E0). The determination of asiaticoside content in gotu kola ethanolic extract was measured using Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) Densitometry method, free radical scavenging activity was measured using diphenylpicryl hydrazyl (DPPH) and defined by parameter of IC , and total phenolic content was defined by equivalency of galic acid using Folin-Ciocalteau. The results show that the hexane purification would increasing total phenolic content significantly in ethanolic extract which extracted with solvents in proportion of ethanol:aquades 75%:25% (E75), 50%:50% (E50), and 25%:75% (E25), but not significant in decreasing of IC . Statistically, n-hexane purification was also not significant to increasing asiaticoside content in gotu kola ethanolic extract.
2. H amid A , S hah ZM , Mus e R, Mohamed S . Characterisation of antioxidative activities of various extracts of Centella asiatica (L) Urban. Food Chem. 2002. 77(4):465–9.
3. Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Sediaan Galenik. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia; 1986. 16-7.
4. Pramono S, Ajiastuti D. Standardisasi ekstrak herba pegagan (Centella asiatica (L.) Urban) berdasarkan kadar asiatikosida secara KLT-densitometri. Majalah Farmasi Indonesia. 2004. 15(3):118–23.
5. Lestari A, Susanti L, Dwiatmaka Y . Optimasi pelarut o Jenderal Pendidikan Tinggi, yang telah memberikan bantuan dana pendidikan dan penelitian disertasi studi etanol-air dalam proses ekstraksi herba pegagan (Centella asiatica [L.] Urban) pada suhu terukur. Bionatura. 2012. 14:87–93
6. Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Farmakope herbal Indonesia. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia; 2008. 109-15.
7. Molyneux P. The use of stable free radical diphenylpicryl hydrazyl (DPPH) for estimating antioxidant activity. Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol. 2004. 26(2):211-9.
8. Sh a r m a GN, Du b e y SK, Sa t i N, Sa n a d y a J. Phytochemical screening and estimation of total phenolic content in Aegle marmelos Seeds. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2011. 3(2):27-9.
9. Bajcan D, Harangozo L, Hrabovska D, Boncikova D. Optimizing condition for spectrophotometric determination of total polyphenols in wines using Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences. 2013. 2(Special issue 1):1699-708.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.