(Effect of Irradiated Chitosan in Reducing Blood Glucose of Swiss Webster Male Mice Using Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
Chitosan is a dietary iber that has been used as an antihyperglycemia agent. Irradiation of chitosan resulted in 1,4-β glycosidic chain termination which shortened the chitosan chains, lower its molecular weight, and minimize steric effects. This is a preliminary experimental study to ind the effective irradiation dose and chitosan type in lowering blood sugar levels. Fifty two mice were used in this research and divided into various treatment groups which included: normal control, negative control, positive control (Acarbose), non-irradiated chitosan and irradiated chitosan. Chitosan solution were given for 15 days and then oral glucose tolerance test were conducted using 1.5 g/kg bw of glucose. Blood sugar levels were monitored at minute 0, 30, 90, 120, and 150; and Area Under the Curves (AUC) were calculated. The results showed that the irradiation of chitosan can lower blood sugar levels greater than the non-irradiated chitosan; and chitosan irradiation of 100 kGy dose I and II can lower blood sugar levels better than irradiated chitosan and positive control. It was concluded that although the 100 kGy irradiated chitosan appears to have greater ability than the positive control group in lowering blood sugar levels. But after LSD test towards the AUC value, it appears that both groups have the same effectivity.
2. Kameswararao B, Kesavulu MM, Apparao C. Evaluation of antidiabetic effect of Momordica cymbalaria fruit in alloxan-diabetic rats. Fitoterapia. 2003. 74 (1-2):7-13.
3. Gallaher CM, Munion J, Hesslink R, Wise J, Gallaher DD. Cholesterol reduction by glucomannan and chitosan is mediated by changes in cholesterol absorption and bile acid and fat excretion in rats. J Nutr. 2000.130: 2753-59.
4. Peluso G, Petillo O, Tanieri M, Santin M, Ambrosic L, Calabro D, et al. Chitosan-mediated stimulation of macrophage function. Biomaterials. 1994.15:1215–20.
5. Porporatto C, Bianco ID, Riera CM, Correa SG. Chitosan induces different L-arginine metabolic pathways in resting and inlammatory macrophages. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2003. 304:266–72.
6. Qin CQ, Du YM, Xiao L, Li Z. Enzymic preparation of water-soluble chitosan and their antitumor activity. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2002. 31:111–7.
7. Qin CQ, Li HR, Xiao Q, Liu Y, Zhu JC, Du YM. Water- solubility of chitosan and its antimicrobial activity. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2006. 63:367–74. 8. Prabu K, Natarajan E. Antihyperglycemic effect of chitosan of Podopthalmus vigil in streptozotocin induced diabetics rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2013. 4(1):352-59.
9. Yao HT, Huang SY, Chiang MT. A comparative study on hypoglycemic and hypocholesterolemic effects of high and low molecular weight chitosan in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Food Chem. Toxicol. 2008. 46:1525-34.
10. Cowd MA. Kimia polimer. Terjemahan Harry Firman. Bandung: Penerbit ITB; 1991. 1-15.
11. Suptijah P. Modiikasi protein konsentrat dan lavor dari kepala udang [tesis]. Bogor: Fakultas Perikanan IPB; 1994.3-18.
12. Mohamed NE. Effect of chitosan on oxidative stress and metabolic disorders induced in rats exposed to radiation. Journal of American Science. 2011. 7(6):406- 17.
13. Jo SH, Ha KS, Moon KS, Kim JG, Oh CG, Kim YC, Apostolidis E, Kwon YI. Molecular weight dependent glucose lowering effect of low molecular weight chitosan oligosaccharides (GO2KA1) on postprandial blood glucose level in SD rats model. Int J Mol Sci. 2013. 14:1421-24.
14. Bourne DWA. Pharmacokinetics and biopharmaceutics: area under the plasma concentration time curve (AUC). 2010. Diambil dari http://www.boomer.org/c/p3/c02/ c0210.html. Diakses tanggal 11 Februari 2014.
15. Neyrinck AM, Bindels LB, Backer FD, Pachikian BD, Cani PD, Delzenne NM. Dietary supplementation with chitosan derived from mushrooms changes adipocytokine proile in diet-induced obese mice, a phenomenon linked to its lipid-lowering action. International Immunopharmacology. 2009. 9: 767–73.
16. Pittler MH, Ernst E. Dietary supplements for body- weight reduction: a systematic review. American Society for Clinical Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004. 79:529–36.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.