α-Glukosidase Inhibitor Activity Test and Quality Test of Ethanolic Extract of Brotowali Stem (Tinospora crispa (L.) Miers.)
In attempt to develop Indonesian traditional medicine (Jamu) to become standardize herbal, it is need to examine the extract that can guarantee its efficacy, quality and safety. Brotowali stem (Tinospora crispa (L.) Miers.) known has antidiabetic effect and no toxic activity. In this research, the quality and α-glukosidase inhibitor activity of ethanolic extract of brotowali stem has been determined. In the quality test were determined specific parameters (identity, organoleptic, extractable matter), non specific parameters (loss on drying, water content, total ash content, solvent residue, heavy metal, and microbial contamination), quantification of markers content (total flavonoid content with spectrophotometric UV-Vis and assay of apigenin content with densitometric method). The research showed that the extract was fulfiled the requirement, total flavonoid content was 0.52% and apigenin content was 0.03635%. The result of α-glukosidase inhibitor activity test gave IC50 of 237.26 ppm.
2. Noor HA, Stephen JH. Antidiabetic effects of Tinospora crispa in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1989. 27(1-2):149-61.
3. Noor HA, Stephen JH. Pharmacological characterization of the antihyperglycaemic properties of Tinospora crispa extract. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1998. 62(1): 7-13.
4. Badan POM RI. Monografi ekstrak tumbuhan obat Indonesia. Vol 2. Jakarta: 2006.22-8.
5. Departemen Kesehatan Indonesia. Materia Medika Indonesia. Jilid II. Jakarta: 1978. 91-95.
6. Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Parameter standar umum ekstrak tumbuhan obat. Jakarta: Direktorat Jendral Pengawasan Obat Dan Makanan; 2000.
7. SK Dirjen POM No. 03726/B/SK/VII/89.
8. Rajalaksmi M, Eliza J, Priya CE, Nirmala, Daisy P. Anti-diabetic of Tinospora cordifolia stem extract on Streptozotocin- induced diabetic rats. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2009. 3(5): 180-71.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.