Identification of Cytotoxic Compounds in Soft Coral Sarcophyton sp. from Panggang Island Water, Seribu Islands National Parks
This research aimed to identify the cytotoxic compounds from Sarcophyton sp. which dominated the coral reefs area at Panggang Islands water, Seribu Islands National Parks. Preparative chromatography and bioassay MCF-7 cell lines guided fractionation had been used in isolation process of cytotoxic compounds. Moreover, UV-VIS, HR-ESI-MS, and 400 MHz NMR spectroscopy methods had been used as the technique to elucidated all of the active compound. The result of this study found three active cytotoxic compounds. These compounds were Sarcophytol (IC50 36,041 ppm), sarcophytol (IC50 71,03 ppm), and sarcophyhtolide (IC50 67,227 ppm). Ecologically, these results showed that Sarcophyton from Panggang Islands coral reefs waters produced a diversed bioactive compound so this organism can win the spatial competition, detterant predation, and dominate in this area.
2. Januar HI, Hendrarto B, Chasanah E, Wright AD. 2011. Nephthea sp.: Correlation between natural products production and pressure from local environmental stressors. J Mar Sci Res Dev. 2011.S8(001):1-6.
3. Sammarco PW, Coll JC. Chemical adaptations in the Octocorallia: evolutionary considerations. MarEcol Prog Ser. 1992.88:93-104.
4. Sotka E, Forbey J, Horn M, Poore A, Raubenheimer D. The emerging role of pharmacology in understanding consumer-prey interactions in marine and freshwater systems. Integr Comp Biol. 2009.49:291-313.
5. Changyun W, Haiyan L, Changlun S, Yanan W, Liang L, Huashi G. Chemical defensive substances of soft corals and gorgonians. Acta Ecologica Sinica. 2008. 28(5):2320-28.
6. Soedharma D, Kawaroe M, Haris A. Kajian Potensi Bioaktif Karang Lunak (Octorallia: Alcyonacea) Di Perairan Kepulauan Seribu, DKI Jakarta. Jurnal Ilmu-ilmu Perairan dan Perikanan Indonesia. 2005.12(2):121-8.
7. Setyaningsih I, Nurhayati T, Nugraha dan Gunawan I. Comparative Evaluation of The Antibacterial Activity of Soft Corals Collected from The Waters of Panggang Island, Kepulauan Seribu. Pharmacie Globale Int J Comprehensive Pharm. 2012.6(03):1-3.
8. Nurhayati T, Fikri M, dan Desniar. Aktivitas Inhibitor Protease dari Ekstrak Karang Lunak, Asal Perairan Pulau Panggang Kepulauan Seribu. Ilmu Kelautan. 2010.15(2):59-65.
9. Meyer BN, Ferrigni NR., Putnam JE, Jacobson LB, Nichols DE, McLaughlin JL. Brine shrimp: A convenient general bioassay for active plant constituents. Planta Medica. 1982.45:31-4.
10. Koop K, Booth D, Broadbent A, Brodie J, Bucher D, Capode D, et al. ENCORE: The effect of nutrient enrichment on coral reefs. Synthesis of results and conclusions. Mar Pollut Bull. 2001.42:91-120.
11. Pawlik JR. Marine invertebrate chemical defenses. Chem Rev. 1993.93:1911-22.
12. Hoover CA, Slattery M, Targett NM, Marsh AG. Transcriptome and metabolite responses to predation in a south pacific soft coral. Biol Bull. 2008.214: 319-28.
13. Fleury B, Coll JC, Tentori E, Duquesne S, Figueiredo L. Effect of nutrient enrichment on the complementary (secondary) metabolite composition of the soft coral Sarcophyton ehrenbergi (Cnidaria: Octocorallia: Alcyonacea) of the Great Barrier Reef. Mar Biol. 2000.136:63-8.
14. Estradivari, Syahrir M, Susilo N, Yusri S, Timotius S. Terumbu karang Jakarta - Laporan Pengamatan Jangka Panjang Terumbu karang kepulauan Seribu. Jakarta: Terangi – Yayasan Terumbu Karang Indonesia – The David and Lucile Packard Foundation; 2007.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.