Cytotoxic Activity and Chromatogram Profile of Irradiated Soursop (Annona muricata L.) Leaves
Soursop (Annona muricata L.) is one of plants included in Annonaceae which the leaves has cytotoxic activity on cancer cells. Preservation efforts of soursop leaves is carried out by gamma irradiation technic. This research aimed to study the effect of gamma irradiation on the bioactivity and chromatogram profiles of the active fraction from soursop leaves.Dry powders of soursop leaves were irradiated using gamma with doses of 5; 7.5; 10; and 15 kGy and repeated twice, respectively for certain doses. Then each sample was macerated with n-hexane, ethyl acetate and ethanol gradiently. Each extract was tested against leukemia L1210 cells. Ethyl acetate extract was the most active (IC50= 7.36 µg/mL) compared with n-hexane (20.18 µg/mL) and ethanol extract (13.89 µg/mL). Ethyl acetate extracts was fractionated using column chromatography obtained ten fractions. The result of cytotoxic activities assay of ten fractions were obtained that fraction 8 was the most active with IC50 value of 0.45 µg/mL. Cytotoxic activity of fraction 8 from irradiated samples showed that gamma irradiation decreased cytotoxic activity of fraction 8, but they were still active (IC50 < 20 µg/mL). Analysis and identification of fraction 8 by the HPLC and TLC-densitometry showed that there were broad peak which decreased in the irradiated samples.The maximum radiation dose for soursop leaves without damaging its bioactivity and that did not change the chromatogram profilesis 7.5 kGy.
2. Chang FR, Liaw CC, Lin CY, Chou CJ, Chiu HF, Wu YC. New adjacent bis-tetrahydrofuran annonaceous acetogenins from Annona muricata. Planta Med. 2003. 69(3): 241-46.
3. Hamizah S, Roslida AH, Fezah O, Tan KL, Tor YS, Tan CI. Chemopreventive potential of Annona muricata L. leaves on chemically-induced skin papillomagenesis in mice. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2012. 13: 2533-9.
4. My healthy life. Daun sirsak vs kanker. Jakarta: Trubus Swadaya; 2011. 14-5.
5. Zuhud E. Bukti kedahsyatan sirsak menumpas kanker. Cetakan kedua. Jakarta: PT Agromedia Pustaka; 2011. 54-77.
6. Sardi D, Dian AS,Destika C, Syah A, Laksita W, Rosy NA, dkk. Herbal Indonesia berkhasiat. Vol. 08. Depok: Trubus Swadaya; 2009. 441-3.
7. Oberlies NH, Chang CJ, McLaughlin JL. Structure- activity relationship of diverse annonaceous acetogenins against multidrug resistant human mammary adenocarcinoma (MCF-7adr) cells. Journal Medicinal Chemistry. 1997. 40: 2102-6.
8. Codex Allimentarius Comission. General standard for irradiated foods codex stan 106 1983. Codex Allimentarius Comission. Rev1. 2003. 1-2.
9. http://www.hukor.depkes.go.id/up_prod_permenkes/ PMK20No.%20701%20ttg%20Pangan%20Iradiasi. pdf. diakses tanggal 15 Oktober 2011. 10. Irawati Z. Implementasi iradiasi pangan: keamanan, mutu, daya simpan dan regulasi. Prosiding Simposium dan Pameran Teknologi Aplikasi Isotop dan Radiasi. Jakarta: Pusat Aplikasi Isotop dan Radiasi BATAN; 2008. 101-8.
11. Winarno H, Katrin E. Benzophenone glucoside isolated from the ethyl acetate extract of the bark of mahkota dewa [Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl.] and its inhibitory activity on leukemia L1210 cell line. Indo J Chem. 2009. 9: 142.
12. Hostettmann K. Assays related to cancer drug discovery. In: Assays for bioactivity. Vol. 6. Switzerland: University of Lausanne, Institute of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry; 1991. 84.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.