Immunomodulatory Effect of Polysaccharide from White Turmeric [Curcuma zedoaria(Christm.) Roscoe)] Rhizome
Polysaccharide from white turmeric [Curcuma zedoaria (Christm.) Roscoe)] rhizome has been found to have anti-tumor activity against sarcoma 180 cells and able to increase macrophage activity in vitro. Since the modulation of immune system also plays a role in eliminating tumor cell, this study was aimed to determine the immunomodulatory effect of C. zedoaria polysaccharide.Immunomodulatory activity of the polysaccharide fraction was studied in Swiss Webster mice through determination of phagocytic index from reticuloendothelial system, total antibody titers, delayed type hypersensitivity (DTH) reaction and splenocyte proliferation assay. Based on the carbon clearance test, polysaccharide fraction at dose 300 mg/kg bw has higher phagocytic index (1.34) which means it has immunostimulatory activity. At the same dose, polysaccharide fraction enhance humoral immune response shown by primary and secondary antibody titers (1:128 and 1:4096) higher than control. This dose also stimulated delayed type hypersensitivity reactions by 19.41% respectively. In splenocyte proliferation assay, polysaccharide fraction of C. zedoaria was significantly stimulated splenocyte proliferation at contentration 10-6 to 1 mg/mL (p < 0.01). Based on those results, polysaccharide fraction of C. zedoaria at dose 300 mg/kg bw has potency to be developed as immunomodulator.
2. Hutapea JR. Inventaris tanaman obat Indonesia (II). Jakarta: Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan Departemen Kesehatan RI; 1993. 167.
3. Medical economics company. PDR for herbal medicines. 2nd Ed. New Jersey: Montvale; 2000. 846-7.
4. Guan D, Zhang Z, Yang Y, Xing G, Liu J. Immunomodulatory activity of polysaccharide from the roots of Actinidia kolomikta on macrophages.International Journal of Biology. 2011. 3 (2):3-11.
5. Kim KI, Kim HK, Kim JW, Hong BS, Shin DH, Cho HY, et al. Antitumor, genotoxicity and anticlastogenic activities of polysaccharide from Curcuma zedoaria. Mol Cell. 2000.10:392-8.
6. Kim KI, Shin KS, Jun WJ, Hong BS, Shin DH, Cho HY, et al. Effects of polysaccharides from rhizomes of Curcuma zedoaria on macrophage functions. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001. 65(11): 2369-77.
7. Deng X, Wu F, Liu Z, Luo M, Li L, Ni Q, et al. Thesplenic toxicity of water soluble multi-walled carbon nanotubes in mice. Carbon. 2009. 47: 1421-28.
8. Rinki S, Mishra RN. Immunomodulatory activity of Triphala megaext. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Sciences. 2011. 2(2): 575-9.9. Dashputre NL, Naikwade. Immunomodulatory activity of abutilon indicum linn on albino mice. International Journal of Pharma Sciences & Research. 2010. 1(3):178-84
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.