Activity of Actinomycetes Isolate from Seeweed (Eucheuma cottonii) as Antibiotic Producer against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli
Actinomycetes are microbial group of the most widely produced bioactive compound as antibiotics.This study was intended to isolate Actinomycetes from seaweed Eucheuma cottonii and to identify the activity of isolated Actinomycetes as antibiotic producer against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Furthermore, the research was aimed to know the spots on thin-layer chromatography(TLC) which has antibacterial activity against S. aureus and E. coli. Isolation of Actinomycetes from E. cottonii was carried out with a spread plate method. The activity test of Actinomycetes as antibiotic producer against S. aureus and E. coli was performed by cup plate method. TLC bioautography was done with stationary phaseof silica gel GF254 and mobile phase of n-hexane : ethylacetate (2:3). The results showed that RL 6 and RL 12 isolate produced antibiotic against S. aureus and E. coli.The TLC bioautography result of ethyl acetate extracts of RL 6 and RL 12 cultures against S. aureus and E. coli showed a inhibition zone at Rf 0.05 and 0.22, respectively.
2. Kelecom A. Secondary metabolites from marine microorganisms. Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências. 2002.74(1): 151–170.
3. Das S, Lyla PS, Khan SA. Marine microbial diversity and ecology: Importance and future perspectives. [Research Report].India: Annamalai Unversity. 2006.
4. Pratiwi ST. Mikrobiologi farmasi. Fakultas Farmasi UGM. Yogyakarta: Penerbit Erlangga. 2008. 17-18, 165-175.
5. Rante H, Wahyono, Murti YB, Alam G, Purifikasi dan karakterisasi senyawa antibakteri dari Actinomycetes asosiasi spons terhadap bakteri patogen resisten. Majalah Farmasi Indonesia. 2010. 21(3):158 – 165.
6. Hong K, Gao AH, Xie QY, Gao H, Zhuang L, Lin HP, et al. Actinomycetes for marine drug discovery isolated from mangrove soils and plants in China. Mar. Drugs. 2009. 7:24-44.
7. Cho JY, Kim MS. Antibacterial benzaldehydes produced by seaweed-derived Streptomyces atroviens Pk288-21, Fish Sci. 2012. 78:1065-1073.
8. Jiao G, Junzeng GY, Zhang, Ewart HS. Chemical structures and bioactivities of sulfated polysaccharides from marine algae. Mar. Drugs. 2011. 9:196-223.
9. Nofiani R, Nurbetty S, Sapar A. Aktifitas antimikrob ekstrak metanol bakteri berasosiasi spons dari Pulau Lemukutan Kalimantan Barat. Ilmu dan Teknologi. 2009.1(2):33-41.
10. Oskay M, Tamer AU, Azeri C. Antibacterial activity of some Actinomycetes isolated from farming soil of Turkey. African Journal of Biotechnology.2004. 3(9): 441-446.
11. Pelczar MJ, Chan ECS. Dasar-dasar mikrobiologi. Jilid 2. Jakarta: UI Press. 2006. 83.
12. Oskay M. Antifungal and antibacterial compounds from Streptomyces strains. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2009; 8(13):3007-3017.
13. Gritter RJ, Bobbitt JM, Schwarting AE. Pengantar kromatografi. Penerjemah Padmawinata K. Bandung: ITB; 1991. 107-155.
14. Salni, Marisa H, Mukti RW. Isolasi senyawa antibakteri dari daun jengkol (Pithecolobium lobatum Benth) dan penentuan nilai KHM-nya. Jurnal Penelitian Sains. 2011. 14(1D):14109-38 - 14109-41.
15. Matanjun P, Mohamed S, Mustapha NM, Muhammad K. Nutrient content of tropical edible seaweeds, Eucheuma cottonii, Caulerpa lentilliferaand Sargassum polycystum .J Appl Phycol.2008. 21:75–80.
16. Alexander M. Introduction to soil microbiology. 2nd Ed. Malabar: Krieger Publishing Company; 1977. 467.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.