Immunomodulatory Compound from Myrmecodia pendens Merr & Perry
Myrmecodia pendens Merr & Perry (Rubiaceae) is widely used in Papua as traditional medicine against various diseases. Preliminary study revealed that ethyl acetate fraction has potency to increase mice Balb/c lymphocyte proliferation in vitro. This study aimed to investigate the active compound responsible for the activity. Dried powders of plant tubers were macerated in ethanol 95% followed by solvent evaporation. The crude extract was further fractionated by liquid-liquid partition with n-hexane, ethyl acetate and water, successively. The ethyl acetate fraction was subjected to a silica gel column and separated by vacuum. The subfraction yields were tested on mice Balb/c lymphocytes to observe the influence on lymphocyte proliferation by MTT assay. Total phenolic content of subfractions were determined by Folin-Ciocalteau method. Chemical characteristics of active compound was identified by GC-MS, UV-Vis spectroscopy, IR and H-NMR. The result showed that total phenolic content has no significant correlation to the lymphocyte proliferation activity. Subfraction 7 yielded from ethyl acetate-methanol (7:3v/v) contained a major constituent (78% by GCMS, 83.75% by Densitometry). GCMS and UV spectra suggested a phenolic substructure. IR and H-NMR suggested that the phenolic was glycosilated and had aliphatic moiety.
2. Sheehan C. Clinical immunology principles and laboratory diagnosis. 2nd Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Company; 1997. 7.
3. Baratawidjaja KE. Imunologi dasar. Edisi V. Jakarta: Balai Penerbit Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Indonesia; 2002.
OHOHOHCFigure 9. Protocatechualdehyde(15). OHOHROH3COHO
4. Katz P. Immunology III. Oxford: Blackwell Publising; 1985.
5. Ma’at S. Imunomodulator manfaat dan bahayanya, di seminar nasional farmasi 2010. Semarang: Stipar ’’Yayasan Farmasi”; 2010. 26.
6. Soeksmanto A, Subroto MA, Wijaya H, Simanjuntak P. Anticancer activity for extracts of sarang semut plant (Myrmecodia pendens) to HeLa and MCM-B2 cells, Pakistan J Biol Sci. 2010. 13(3):148-51.
7. Blatrix R, Bouamer S, Morand S, Selosse MA. Ant-pant mutualisms should be viewed as symbiotic communities. Plant Signal. Behav. 2009. 4: 554-6.
8. Hertiani T, Sasmito E, Sumardi, Ulfah M. Preliminary study on immunomodulatory effect of sarang-semut tubers Myrmecodia tuberose and Myrmecodia pendens. Online Journal of Biological Sciences. 2010. 10(3):136-41.
9. Singleton VL, Orthofer R., Raventos RML. Analysis of total phenol and other oxidative substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent, in methods in enzymology. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture. 1974. 299:152.
10. Sasmito E, Mulyaningsih S, Untari KE, Widyaningrum R. Immunostimulant activity of soybean milk against immunoglobulin (lgG, IgA) and lymphocyte cells proliferation of Balb/c mice induced hepatitis A. Indonesian J Pharm. 2006. 17(3):156-61.
11. Field, LD, Sternhell S, Kalman JR. Organic structures from spectra. 4th Ed. New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons; 2008.
12. Tejasari, Zakaria FR, Sajuthi D. Aktivitas stimulasi komponen bioaktif rimpang Jahe (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) pada sel limfosit B manusia secara in vitro. J Teknol and Industri Pangan. 2002. 13(1):47-53.
13. Triyono T, Supargiyono, Sismindari. Pengaruh polifenol teh hijau (Camelia sinensis) terhadap perubahan respon imun selluler mencit selama infeksi Plasmodium berghei. Sains Kesehatan. 2002. 15(2).
14. Prachayasittikul S, Buraparuangsang P, Worachartcheewan A, Isarankuranaayudhya C, Ruchirawat S, Prachayasittikul V. Antimicrobial and antioxidative activities of bioactive constituensts from Hidnophytum formicarum Jack. Molecules. 2008. 13:904-21.
15. Popoff T, Theander O. The constituents of conider needles.VI: Phenolic glicosides from Pinus sylvestris. Acta Chemica Scandinavica. 1977. 31(4):329-37.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.