FREE RADICAL SCAVENGING ACTIVITY AND ANTIHYPERGLYCEMIC POTENCY OF VARIOUS GAMBIER COLLECTED FROM SEVERAL INDONESIAN MARKETS
Gambier (uncaria gambier) is known to have antioxidant properties and some studies attributed to the presence of polyphenols. The objective of this study was to investigate the potential of various gambier available in Indonesian market as free radical scavenger and to evaluate its antihyperglycemic potency as α-glucosidase inhibator. Isolation of catechin was carried out by extraction with distilled ethyl acetate as solvent. Analysis of catechin in the gambier dried extracts were carried out by TLC method. The molecular weight and catechin content of gambier dried extracts were determined by analyzing mass spectra and spectrophotometry, respectively. The free radical scavenging aactivity ofextracts were measured by using 1, 1-diphenyl1-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) as stable free radical compound. The antihyperglycemic potency of gambier dried extracts were asseyed, as α-glucosidase inhibator. The results showed that various gambier available in the market were very active as antioxidant, indicated by the IC50 vvalues of gambier dried extracts were 4.6 to 18.2 µg/mL. Whilst th IC50 for glucosidase inhibition varies from 40.45 to 52.43 µg/mL, and classified as a moderate antidiabetic.
2. Sutedja L. Bioassay of antidiabetes based on α-Glucosidase inhibitory activity. Functional Foods: Trends and Challenges, 2005. 1(3):309-15.
3. King H, Aubert RE, Herman WH. Global burden of diabetes, 1995-2025: prevalence, numerical estimates and projections. Diabetes Care. 1998. 21:1414-31.
4. Goke B, Herrmann-Rinke C. The evolving role of α-Glucosidase inhibitors. Diabetes Metab Rev 1998. 14:1531-8.
5. Hansawasdic C, Kawabata J, Kasai T. α-Gamylase inhibitors from Rosella (Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn.) Tea. Biosci Biotecnol Biochem. 2000. 64:1041-3
6. Lee DS, Lee SH. Genistein, a story of isoflavone, is a potent α-glucosidase inhibator. FEBS Lett. 2001. 501:84-6.
7. Kim YM, Jeong YK, Lee WY, Rhee HI. Inhibitory effect of pine extract on α-glucosidase activity and posprandial hyperglycemia. Nutrition. 2005. 21:756-61
8. Risdale CE. A review of Uncaria Rubiiaceae. J of Blumea. 2001. 24:43-100.
9. Arakawa H, Masako M, Robuyusi S, Miyazaki. Role of hydrogen perioxide in bactericidal action of catechin. Biologic and Pharmaceutic Bull. 2004. 3227(27):227-88.
10. Lemaire I,Assinewe V, Cano P, Awang DVC, Arnarson JT. Stimulation of interleukihn-1 and 6 production in alveolar macrophages by the neotropical lianna, U. tumentosa. J of Ethnopharmacol. 1999. 64:109-15.
11. Velury R, Weir TL, Bais HP, Stermizt FR, Vivanco JM. Phytotoxic and antimicrobial activities of catechin derivative. J Agric Food Chem. 2004. 52(5):1077-82.
12. Wurm M, Kacani L, Laus G, Keplinger K, Dierich MP. Pentacyclic oxindole alkaloids from Uncaria tomentosa induce human endothelial cells to release a lymphocyteproliferation regulating factor. Planta Medica. 1998. 64:701-4.
13. Heitzman ME, Neto CC, Winiarz E, Vaisberg AJ, Hammond GB. Ethnobotany, phytochemistry, and pharmacology of uncaria (Rubiaceae). Phytochem rev. 2005. 66:5-29.
14. Sang S, Cheng X, Stark RE, Rosen RT, Yang CS, Ho CT Chemical studies on antioxidant mechanism of tea catechin: analysis of radical reaction products of catechin and epicatechin with 2,2-dipheny1-1-picrylhydrazyl. J of Bioor and Med Chem. 2001. 10:2233-7.
15. Henny L, Amri B, Wina AP. Formulasi sediaan antiseptik mulut dari katekin gambir. J sains Tek Faar. 2007. 12(1):1-7.
16. Rindit P, Murdjiati G, Slamet S, Kapti RK. Kandungan fenol dan sifat antibakteri dari berbagai jenis ekstrak produk gambir (Uncaria gambier Roxb). Majalah Farmasi Indonesia. 2007. 18(3):141-6.
17. Anonim SNI Gambir: SNI 01-3391-2000. Badan Standarisasi Nasional. 2000. 1-6.
18. Gumbira, ES. Review kajian penelitian danpengembangan agroindustri strategis nasional: kelapa sawit, kakao, dan gambir. J Tek Ind Pert. 2009. 19(1):45-55.
19. Yen G, Chen H Antioxidant activity of various tea extract in relation to their antimutagenicity. J Agric Food Chem 1995. 4:27-32.
20. Eni, H. Analisa kadar catechin dari gambir dengan berbagai metode. Bull Tek Pert. 2008. 8:31-3.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.