Protective Effects of Nigella sativa Against Carcinogenesis in Renal Rat Cell Induced by 7,12-dimetilbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA)
Black cumin (Nigella sativa) is known to have anticancer activity. Previous study showed that chloroform extract of N. sativa, have cytotoxic activity on T47D cell line. The purpose of this study was to determine the antiproliferation activity of chloroform extract N. sativa in female rats induced-DMBA based on histopathologic changes on renal cell of cell proliferation and to observe the optimal concentration of N. sativa as antiproliferative agent. Sprague Dawley strain female rats were divided into live groups. Group 1 was given DMBA 20 mg/kg BW. Group 2, 3, 4, were given DMBA and chloroform extracts of N. sativa with 250; 500; 750 mg kg BW rank dose. Group 5 was given corn oil. Renal cell histopathology was observed by H&E and AgNOR staining. The inhibition of renal cell proliferation was observed with mAgNOR value. mAgNOR data were analyzed using Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, ANOVA and Tukey HSD. The results of H&E and AgNOR staining showed that at a dose of 7 SOmg/kg BW chloroform extract of N. sativa reduced cell damage and inhibit renal cells proliferation with mAgNOR value of 1.069. This result suggest that the chloroform extract of N. sativa had the potential effect as chemopreventive agent.
2. Grignon DJ and Eble JN. Renal neoplasm. In: Jennette J C et al, editors. Heptinstall'a pathology of the kidney. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincot Williams & Wilkins; 2007. 1492-502.
3. Muqbil I. and Banu N. Enhancement of pro-oxidant effect of 7,12-dimethylbenz(a) anthracene (DMBA) in rats by pre-exposure to restraint stress. Cancer Letters. 2006. 240:213-20.
4. Hanahan G and Weinberg RA. The hallmarks of cancer. Cell. 2011. 100:57-70.
5. Ekowati H, Prasasti E, Rastuti U. The active fraction from Nigella sativa and its activity againts T47D cell line. Indo. J. Chem. 2011. 11(3):217-22.
6. Anonim. Prosedur tetap pembedahan hewan uji. Yogyakarta: Cancer Chemoprevention Research Center, Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Gadjah Mada; 2008. 1-5.
7. Kuehnel W. Color atlas of cytology, histology, and microscopic anatomy. New York: Thieme Stuttgar; 2003. 352-72.
8. Anonim. Prosedur tetap pengecatan AgNor. Yogyakarta: Cancer Chemoprevention Research Center, Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Gadjah Mada; 2008. 1-5.
9. Golstein P and Kroemer G. Cell death by necrosis: towards a molecular definition. Biochemical Sciences. 2006. 32(1):37-43.
10. Nony PA and Schnellmann RG. Mechanisms of renal cell repair and regeneration after acute renal failure. The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 2003. 304(3):905-12.
11. Ivankovic S, Stojkovic R, Jukic M, Milos M, Jurin MMM. The antitumor activity of thymoquinone and thymohydroquinone in vitro and in vivo. Experimental Oncology . 2006. 28:220-4.
12. Nguyen T, Sherratt PJ, Pickett CB. Regulatory mechanisms controlling gene expression mediated by the antioxydant response element. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2003. 43:233-60.
13. Ilaiyaraja N and Khanum F. Nigella Saliva L. A review of therapeutic applications. Journal of Herbal Medicine and Toxicology. 2010. 4(2): 1-8.
14. Mehta BK, Pandit V and Gupta M. New principles from seeds of Nigella sativa. Nat Prod Res. 2009. 23(2):138-48.
15. McFadyen MCE, Melvin WT, Murray GI. Cytochrome P450 CYPlBl activity in renal cell carcinoma. British Journal of Cancer. 2004. 91: 966-71.
16. Yazan LS, Ng WK, Al-Naqeeb G, Ismail M. Cytotoxicity of thymoquinone (TQ) from Nigella sativa towards human cervical carcinoma cells (HeLa). Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2009. 2(4):585-9.
17. Zaher KS, Ahmed WM, Zerizer SN. Observation on the biological effects of black cumin seed (Nigella saliva) and green tea (Camellia sinensis). Global Veterinaria. 2008. 4: 198-204.
18. Kojima K, Burks JK., Arts J, Andreeff M. The novel tryptamine derivative induces ild-type p5 3and E2F1mediated apoptosis in acute myeloid and lymphoid leukemias. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010. 9(9):2545-57.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.