Wound Healing Evaluation and Irritation Potency of Binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis) Ethanolic Extract
Binahong (Anredera cordi olia (Ten) Steenis) has been used as wound healing in traditional Indonesian medicine. The aim of this study was to examine the wound healing activity and irritation potency of ethanolic extract of Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis. Dry Binahong leaves were ground and screened with mesh no 40. Dry Binahong leaves were macerated with 10 times of volume of 96% ethanol for 90 minutes with constant agitation (200 rpm). It was screened and concentrated until the liquid would be a quarter. Then the extract was incorporated to gel base as 2,5%; 5%; 10% and 20%. Incision wound method was employed to activity test of wound healing. Male mice (strain Swiss), weight between 25 ~ 30 g, was used to this test. The male mice were classified into 7 groups i.e. negative control, control vehicle, positive control and 4 groups of sample. The extract then was assessed to irritation potency using HET-CAM method. Lactic acid was used as the positive control for irritation assessment. The result of this study stated that the highest activity of wound healing was shown by the sample containing 5% of ethanolic extract. The percentage activity of wound healing was 63,3%. Irritation appeared on the 10% and 20% ethanolic extract of binahong leaves.
2. Singer AJ, Richard AF, Clark MD. Cutaneous wound healing : Mechanisms of Disease. N Engl J Med. 1999. 738-45.
3. Starr F, Starr K, Loope L. Plants of Hawaii-Anredera cordifolia, Halekala Field Station, Mawi, Hawaii, 2003. diambil dari: URL:http://www.hear.org/starr/ hiplants/reports/html/ anrederacordifolia.htm.
4. Lin H, Kuo S, Chao PL. Lin T. Anew sapogenin from Boussingaultia gracilis. Journal of Natural Products. 1988. 51(4):797-8.
5. Lee HK, Nam GW, Kim SH, Lee SH. Phytocomponents of triterpenoids, oleanolic acid and ursolic acid, regulated differently the processing of epidermal keratinocytes via PPAR-a pathway. Exp Dermatol. 2006. 15:66-73.
6. Lim SK, Hong SP, Jeong SW, Kim B, Bak H, Ryoo HC, Lee SH, Ahn SK. Simultaneous effect of ursolic acid and oleanolic acid on epidermal permeability barrier function and epidermal keratinocyte differentiation Via peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-0t. J Dermatol. 2007. 34:625-34.
7. Guo S and DiPietro LA. Factors affecting wound healing. J Dent Res. 2010. 89(3):219-29.
8. Jones SG, Edwards R, Thomas DW. Inhammation and wound healing: the role of bacteria in the immunoregulation of wound healing. Lower Extremity Wounds. 2004. 3(4):201-8.
9. Wilson TD and Steck WF. A modihed HET-CAM assay approach to the assessment of anti-irritant properties of plant extracts. Food Chem. Toxicol. 2000. 38:867-72.
10. Cazedey ECL, Carvalho FC, Fiorentino FAM, Gremiao MPD, Salgado HRN. Corositex®, BCOP and HET-CAM as alternative methods to animal experimentation. Braz. J. Pharm. Sci. 2009. 45(4):759-66.
11. Emami-Razavi SH, Esmaeili N, Forouzannia SK, Amanpour S, Rabbani R, Alizadeh AM, et al. Effect of bentonite on skin wound healing: experimental study in rat model. Acta Med. Iran. 2006. 44(4):235-40.
12. Puratchikody A and Nagalakshmi G. Wound healing activity of Memecylon umbellatum Burm. J. Plant Sci. 2007. 2(2):179-86.
13. Srikanth D, Shenoy RR, Rao CM. The effect of topical (gel) astemizole and terfenadine on wound healing. Indian J. Pharmacol. 2008. 40(4):140-4. 14. Moura-Letts G, Villegas LF, Marcalo A, Vaisberg AJ, Hammond GB. In Vivo wound healing activity of oleanolic acid derived from the acid hydrolylisis of Anredera diffusa. J. Nat. Prod. 2006. 69:978-9
15. National Institute of Health Publication. Current status of in Vitro test methods for identifying ocular corrosive and severe irritants: Hen’s egg test chorioallantoic membran test methods. 2006. diambil dari: URL:http://iccvam.niehs.nih.gov/methods/ ocudocs/ocu_brd.htm#Hetcam.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.