The Preparation of Ethyl Acetate Fraction Microspheres of Sambiloto Herbs (Andrographis paniculata Nees) Using Spray Drying Method
Sambiloto (Andrographis paniculata Nees) is a medicinal plant containing andrographolide as its primary bioactive component, which has been shown to inhibit breast cancer cell proliferation. Andrographolide is a diterpene lacton and sparingly soluble in water. The aim of this study is to prepare microspheres of A . paniculata ethylacetate fraction by microencapsulation using spray drying method. The ethyl acetate fraction of A. paniculata herbs was microencapsulated using PVP K30 and HPMC as the coating polymer in different ratios of 1:5; 1:7,5 and 1:10. Microspheres containing the ethyl acetate fraction of A. paniculata herbs were characterized in term of recovery factor, morphology, particle size distribution, water content and entrapment efficiency. The results showed that the A. paniculata microspheres have the recovery factor of 19,50% to 31,64%, spherical shape varies from smooth surface to irregular shape, particles size of 1,44% to 19,23 µm, moisture content of 5,15% to 13,44%, and entrapment echiency between 94,83 to 112,15%.
2. Mishra KS, Neelam SS, Sangwan RS. Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh): A review. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 2007.1(2):283-98.
3. Syarifah SMM, Ilham AM, Asiah O, Nurhanan OAM, Norhayati I, Shaira HL, et al. Proteomic assesment of bioactive constituent from selected Malaysian plant species with anti-breast cancer and anti-ovarian cancer potentials. Selangor Darul Ehsan: Highlights of Forest Reseach Institute Malaysian (FRIM) Projects; 2007. 15862.
4. Jada SR, Subur GS, Matthews C, Hamzah AS, Lajis NH, Saad MS, et al. Semi synthesis and in Vitro anticancer activities of andrographolide analogues. Phytochemistry. 2007.68(6):904-12.
5. Kumar RA, Sridevi K, Kumar NJ, Nanduri S, Rajagapol S. Anticancer and immunostimulatory compounds from Andrographis paniculata. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2004.92:291 5.
6. Prapanza I, Marianto LA. Khasiat dan manfaat sambiloto. Jakarta: Argomedia Pusaka; 2003. 1-10.
7. Rosidah I, Surini S, Sumaryono W. Aktivitas sitotoksik fraksi etil asetat herba sambiloto (Andrographis paniculata Nees) Terhadap Kultur Sel Kanker Payudara Galur MCF7 dan T47D. Jumal Bahan Alam Indonesia. 2011.7(6):316-20.
8. Deasy PB. Microencapsulation and related drug process. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 1984. 21-37.
9. Thies C. A Survey of microencapsulation processes. In: Benita S. Microencapsulation methods and industrial applications. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc; 1996. 1-19.
10. Alanazi FK, El-Badry M, Ahmed MO, Alsarra IA. Improvement of albendazole disolution by preparing microparticle using spray-drying technique. Scientia Pharrnaceutica (Sci Pharm). 2007.75: 63-79
11. Leuner C, Jennifer D. Review Article. Improving drug solubility for oral delivery using solid dispersions. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2000.50z47-60
12. Rowe RC, Shesky PL, Owen SC. Handbook of pharmaceutical excipients. 5th ed. London: The Pharmaceutical Press and The American Pharmacists Association; 2006. 611-6.
13. Garrec DL, Gori S, Luo L, Lessard D, Smith DC, Yessine MA et al. Poly(N-vinylpyrrolidone)-block-poly(d,llactide) as a new polymeric solubilizer for hydrophobic anticancer drugs: In vitro and in vivo evaluation. Journal of Controlled Release. 2004. 99:283-101.
14. Wanawongthai C, Pongpeerapat A, Higashi K, Tozuba Y, Moribe K, Yamamoto K. Pharmaceutical nanotechnology. Nano-particle formation from probucol PVP sodium alkyl sulphate co-ground mixture. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2009.376(1-2):167-75.
15. Fakultas Matematika dan Ilmu Pengetahuan Alam Universitas Indonesia. Buku petunjuk praktikum farmasi iisik. Depok; Universitas Indonesia; 2009.
16. Tewa-Tagne P, Brianc S, Fessi H. Preparation of redispersible dry nanocapsules by means of spray-drying: Development and characterization. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2007. 30: 124 35.
17. Surini S, Anggriani V, Anwar E. Study of Muchoadhesive Michrospheres based on pragelatinized cassava starch succinate a new carrier for drug delivery. J. Med Sci. 2009.6:249-56.
18. Rathananand M, Kumar DS, Shirwaikar A, Kumar R, Prasad RS. Preparation of mucoadhesive microspheres for nasal delivery by spray drying. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2007.69(5):651-7.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.