Cytotoxicity against Leukemia L1210 Cells and Chromatogram Profiles of Radiated White Turmeric Curcuma Zedoaria (Berg) Rosc.
White turmeric Curcuma zedoaria (Berg) Rosc. is useful for treating cancer disease. It is very susceptible to microbial, therefore gamma irradiation technique to reduce microbial contamination is necessary in order to extend the storing period. Gamma irradiation on white tumeric was carried out by cobalt-60 source at doses of 5, 7.5, 10, and 15 kGy. Then they gradually were maeerated with n-hexane, ethyl acetate, and ethanol. The purpose of this research was to study the effect of gamma irradiation by observing parameters on the cytotoxic activity of ethyl acetate extract and active fraction of white tumeric rhizome against L1210 leukemia cells, also profiles of thin layer and HPLC chromatograms of active fraction as anticancer agent. Ethyl acetate extract of irradiated and control samples were the most active to inhibit the growth of L1210 leukemia cells with IC50 value of 4.71 ug/mL. Ethyl acetate extracts from irradiated and control samples were fractionated using column chromatography and obtained 7 fractions (Fr), respectively. Fraction 3 of control sample was the most active fraction with IC50 values 1.43 µg/ ml. The IC50 value of Fr 3 decreased with increasing irradiation doses and chromatogram profiles of radiated samples with doses of > 5 kGy were changed. The maximum radiation dose for white turmeric preservation is 7.5 kGy, at this dose its anticancer efficacy was maintained.
2. Hariana HA. Tumbuhan obat dan khasiatnya seri I. Jakarta: Penebar Swadaya; 2007. v.
3. Windono T dan Parfiati N. Curcuma zedoaria (Bergius) Roscoe, kajian pustaka kandungan kimia dan aktivitas farmakologik. Prosiding Seminar Nasional Tumbuhan Obat Indonesia XXI, Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Surabaya, Surabaya, 2002: 247-55
4. Syu WJ et al. Cytotoxicity of curcuminoid and some novel compounds from Curcuma zedoaria. J of Natural Product. 1998. 61(12):1532-4.
5. Surh Y. Molecular mechanism of chemopreventive effects of selected dietary and medicinal phenolic substances. Br J Cancer. 1999. 80(1-2):110-6.
6. Murwanti R, Meiyanto E, Nurrochmad A, Kristina SA. Efek ekstrak etanol rimpang temu putih (Curcuma zedoaria Rosc.) terhadap pertumbuhan tumor paru fase post inisiasi pada mencit betina diinduksi benzo[a]piren. Majalah Farrnasi Indonesia. 2004. 15(1):7-12.
7. Supardjan AM dan Da’i M. Hubungan struktur dan aktivitas sitotoksik turunan kurkumin terhadap sel Myeloma. Majalah Farmasi Indonesia. 2005. 16(2): 100-4.
8. Sayuti I, Wulandari S, dan Fatimah S. Bakteri enterik dalam minuman jamu gendong di kota Pekanbaru. Jumal Biogenesis 2005. 2(1):16-9.
9. Leswara ND. Radiofarmasi. Depok: Penerbit UI; 2005. 117,119-20.
10. Brennand CP. Food irradiation. Diambil dari http://www. iaea.org/nafa/d5/public/food irradiation.pdf. Diakses 30 Juni, 2008.
11. Abraham TW, Kalman TI, McIntee EI, and Wagner CR. Synthesis and biological activity of aromatic amino acid phosphoramidates of 5-fluoro-2”-deoxyuridine and 1-b-arabinofuranosylcytosine: Evidence of phosphoramidase activity, J Med Chem. 1996. 39:4569-75.
12. Abdullah F. Cytotoxic and Wild type P-53 promoting activities of selected Zingiberaceae species in colon cancer cell lines [Tesis]. Kuala Lumpur: Faculty of Science University of Malaya; 2009. 25-6.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.