Isolation and Characterization of Antibacterial Compound Against Streptococcus mutans from Ethanol Extract of Kalanchoe pinnata (Lamk.) Pers. Leavcs
Streptococcus mutans is one of the microbes which is responsible for the cause of bad breath. The activity of Kalanchoe pinnata (Lamk.) Pers. leaves ethanol extract is four times stronger than the water extract in inhibiting the growth of Streptococcus mutans. The aim of research is to isolate and characterize an antibacterial compound of ethanol extract of Kalanchoe pinnata (Lamk.) Pers. leaves. The extract was fractionated using column chromatography. The fractions were purified by TLC and the isolate were tested for its purity using HPLC. Isolate was characterized using UV-Vis spectrophotometry and FTIR. Fractionation by column chromatography generated 9 fractions. The fraction VII have the highest diameter of inhibitory against Streptococcus mutans. The yield of isolate was 9.18% of the fraction VII or 0.84% of the ethanol extract with purity of 95%. Isolate was suspected as a group of saponin compound.
2. Firdaus, Kartiningsih, Yantih N. Minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) of powder ethanol extracts of kalanchoe pinnata against sterptococcus mutans. Proceeding of the third international conference on matematics and natural science. 2010. 520-3.
3. Akinsulire OR, Aibinu IE, Adenipekun T, Adelowotan T, Odugbemi T. In vitro antimicrobial activity of crude extracts from plants Bryophyllum pinnatum and Kalanchoe crenata. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternatif Medicines. 2007. 4(3): 338-44.
4. Akinpelu D.A. Antimicrobial activity of Bryophyllum pinnatum leaves. Fitoterapia. 2000. 71(2):193-4.
5. Yantih N, Diah W, Anggelina O,Firdaus, and Kartiningsih. General standard parameters of aqueous and ethanol extracts of Kalanchoe pinnata. Proceeding the third International Conference on Mathematics and Natural Science. 2010. 558-63.
6. Okwu DE, Nnamdi FU. TWO novel flavonoids from Bryophyllum pinnatum and their antimicrobial activity. J Chem Pharm Res ISSN No:0975-7384 CODEN(USA): JCPRC5.2011.3(2):1-10
7. Famsworth NR. Biology and phytochemical screening of plants. Pharm Sci. 1966. 55: 225-76.
8. Silverstein RM, Webster FX, Kiemle DJ . Spectrometric identification of organic compounds. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc; 2005. 72-108, 119-123.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.