Antioxidant Activities of Compounds from Wood of Artocarpus heterophyllus
Isoprenoid-substituted flavonoids were isolated from the wood of Artocarpus heterophyllus by
biologically activity-guided fractionation, namely antioxidant. The isolated compounds are cudraflavone
C, kuwanon C, norartocarpin, albanin A and artocarpanone have more hydroxyl groups seem to be
specifically to scavenge H2O2. These experimental results demonstrated that each scavenging compound
different in its scavenge capacity toward different form of radicals.
2. Rouzaud F, Kadekaro AL, Abdel-Malek ZA , Hearing VJ. MC1R and the response of melanocytes to ultraviolet radiation. Mut Res. 2005. 571: 133-52.
3. Perluigi M, De Marco F, Foppoli C, Coccia R, Blarzino C, Marcante ML, et al. Tyrosinase protects human melanocytes from ROS -generating compounds. Biochem Biophys Res Commu. 2003.305: 250-56.
4. Cefarelli G, D’Abrosca B, Fiorentino A, Izzo A, Mastellone C, Pacifico S, et al. Free-radical-scavenging and antioxidant activities of secondary metabolites from reddened Cv. Annurca apple fruits. J Agric Food Chem. 2006.54: 803-09.
5. Leborgne L, Maziere JC, Maziere C, Andrejak M. Oxidative stress atherogenesis and cardiovascular risk factors. Arch Mal Caeur Vaiss. 2002. 95:805-14.
6. Folts JD. Potential health benefits from the flavonoids in grape products on vascular disease. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002. 505: 95-111.
7. Petrovsky N, Silva D, Schatz DA. Vaccine therapies for the prevention of type I diabetes mellitus. Paediatr Drugs 2003. 5: 575-82.
8. Maynard M, Gunnel D, Emmett P, Frankel S, Smith DG. Fruit, vegetables, and antioxidants in childhood and risk of adult cancer: the Boyd Orr cohort. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2003. 57: 218-25.
9. Wang YH , Hou AJ, Chen L, Chen DF, Sun HD, Zhao QS. New isoprenylated flavones, artochamins A-E, and cytotoxic principles from Artocarpus chama. J Nat Prod. 2004. 67: 757-61.
10. Arung ET, Shimizu K, Kondo R. Inhibitory effect of isoprenoid-substituted flavonoids isolated from Artocarpus heterophyllus on melanin biosynthesis. Planta Med. 2006. 72: 847-50.
11. Arung ET, Shimizu K, Kondo R. Inhibitory effect of artocarpanone from Artocarpus heterophyllus on melanin biosynthesis. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006. 29:1966-69.
12. Arung ET, Yoshikawa K, Shimizu K, Kondo R. The effect of chlorophorin and its derivatives on melaninbiosynthesis. Holzforschung. 2005. 59: 14-18
13. Arung ET, Shimizu K, Kondo R. Structure–activity relationship of prenyl-substituted polyphenols from Artocarpus heterophyllus as inhibitors of melanin biosynthesis in cultured melanoma cells. Chem Biodiver. 2007. 4: 2166-71.
14. Shimizu, K., Kondo, R., Sakai, K., Takeda, N., Nagahata, T., Oniki, T. Novel vitamin E derivative with 4-subsituted resorcinol moiety has both antioxidant and tyrosinase inhibitory properties. Lipids. 2001.36: 1321-25.
15. Arung ET. Melanin Biosynthesis Inhibitory Compounds from Artocarpus heterophyllus. [dissertation]. University of Kyushu; 2006. 59.
16. Caddeo C, Teskac K, Sinico C, Kristl J. Effect of resveratrol incorporated in liposomes on proliferation
and UV-B protection of cells. Interl J Pharm. 2008. 363: 183-91.
17. Sander CS, Chang H, Hamm F, Elsner P, Thiele JJ. Role of oxidative stress and the antioxidant network in cutaneous carcinogenesis. Intl J Dermatol 2004. 43:326-35.
18. Goupy P, Dufour C, Loonis M, Dangles O. Quantitative kinetics analysis of hydrogen transfer reactions from dietary polyphenols to the DPPH radical. J Agric Food Chem. 2003. 51: 615-22.
19. Yu J, Wang L, Walzem RL, Miller EG, Pike LM, Patil BS. Antioxidant activity of citrus limonoids, flavonoids, and coumarins. J Agric Food Chem. 2005. 53:2009-14.
20. Arung ET, Furuta S, Ishikawa H, Kusuma IW, Shimizu K, Kondo R. Anti-melanogenesis properties of quercetinand its derivative-rich extract from Allium cepa. 2011.124:1024-28.
21. Kim YJ, Kang KS , Yokozawa T. The anti-melanogenic effect of pycnogenol by its anti-oxidative actions. Food Chem Toxicol. 2008. 46: 2466-71.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.