Anticancer activity of Aglaia elliptica Blume leaves extracts on Sprague Dawley female rats induced by 7,12 dimethylbenz[a] antracene
Aglaia elliptica Blume is one of plants that contain cyclopenta[b] tetrahydrobenzofuran compound with strong cytotoxic effect on various types of cancer cell lines. The objective of this study is to determine the inhibition effect of ethanol extract of A. elliptica leaves on mammary tumor growth in Sprague Dawley female rats induced by 7.12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA). The study was conducted with induction of 50 female rats with DMBA at a dose of 20 mg/kg orally for 11 times. Twenty-five female rats suffering mammary tumor were divided into 5 groups. Three groups were treated with ethanol extract at a dose of 50, 100 and 200 mg/200 g BW one day after the tumor appeared for 30 days, 1 group as a negative control and 1 group as a positive control (doxorubicin 2 μg/200 g BW). The results showed that the induction of DMBA resulting tumor incidence by 74% and tumor multiplicity of 2 nodules/rat. Histopathological analysis of mammary tumor, suggested that the carcinogenesis has reached the level of ductal carcinoma invasive (DCIV). The administration of ethanol extract at dose of 50, 100 and 200 mg/200 g BW suppressed the growth of mammary tumor volume by 30 %, 33.5% and 37.4%, respectively.
2. Proksch P, Edrada RA, Ebel R, Bohnenstengel F, Nugroho BW. Chemistry and Biological Activity of Rocaglamide Derivatives and Related Compounds in Aglaia Species (Meliaceae). Current Org Chem. 2001. 5(9): 935.
3. Bohnenstengel F, Inhaltsstoffe austrophischen Meliaceen der Gattungen Aglaia und Melia, Isolierung, Strukturaufklaerung und Evaluierung der pharmakologisschen Aktivitaeten, Dissertation zur Erlangung des naturwissenchaftlichen Doktorgrades der BayerischenJulius-Maximillana-Universitaet Wuerzburg; 2000.
4. Lee SK, Baoliang C, Rajeshwari RM, A Douglas K, Lohn M.P. Cytostatic mechanism and antitumor potential of nove 1H-cyclopenta[b]benzofuran lignans isolated from Aglaia elliptica, Chem Biol Interactions.1998; 115, 215-28.
5. Bauman B, Bohnenstengel F, Siegmund D, Wajant H, Weber C, Herr I, et al. Rocaglamid Derivates are Potent Inhibitor of NF-kB Activation I T-cells, J Biol Chem. 2002. 277(47): 44791-800.
6. Ebewe Pharma, Doxorubicin “Ebewe” 10 mg/50 mg injection, Brosur, EBEWE Pharma Ges.m.b.H, Nfg. KG, Austria – PT. Ferron Par Pharmaceutical, Jakarta.
7. Krishnamurthy V, Palanivelu S, Panchanatham S. Anticancer Effect of Kalpaamruthaa on Mammary Carcinoma in Rats with Reference to Glycoprotein Components, Lysosomal and Marker Enzymes. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006. 29(3): 565-9.
8. Ting AY, Klimer BF, Fabian CJ and Petroff BK. Characterization of a preclinical model of simultaneous breast and ovarian cancer progression. Carcinogenesis. 2007. 28(1):130-5.
9. Marcora SM, Chester KR, Mittal G, Lemmey AB, and Maddison PJ. Randomized phase 2 trial of antitumor necrosis factor therapy for cachexia in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Clin Nutr 2006. 84:1463-72.
10. Meiyanto E, Tasminatun S, Susilowati S, Murwanti R dan Sugiyanto. Efek kemopreventif ekstrak etanolik Gynura procumbens (Lour), Merr pada karsinogenesis kanker payudara tikus. Majalah Farmasi Indonesia. 2007. 18(3).
11. Nicolas C, Sandra ES, Elizabeth GD, Donny LF, Chang MF, Haqqiang Y, et al. Oncogenic Signaling Pathways Activated in DMBA-Induced Mouse Mammary Tumors. Toxicol Pathol. 2005. 33: 726-37.
12. Kubatka P, Ahlersova E, Ahlers I, Bojkova B, Kalicka K, Adamekova E, et al. Variability of Mammary Carcinogenesis Induction in Female Sprague-Dawley and Wistar:Han Rats: the Effect of Season and Age. Physiol Res. 2002. 5: 633-40.
13. Gear RB, Yan M, Schneider J, Succop P, Heffelfinger SC, Clegg DJ. Charles River Sprague Dawley Rats Lack Early Age-Dependent Susceptibility to DMBA-Induced Mammary Carcinogenesis. Int J Biol Sciences. 2007. 3(7): 408-16.
14. William RS, David EF. Apotosis and Cancer drug targeting. J Clin Invest. 1999. 104(12): 155-62.
15. Zhu JY, Lavrik IN, Mahlknecht U, Giaisi M, Proksch P, Krammer PH et al. The traditional Chinese herbal compound rocaglamide preferentially induces apoptosis in leukemia cells by modulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase activities. Int J Cancer. 2007.121:1839-46.
16. Qiuwen M, Bao-Ning S, Heebyung C, Geoffrey A, Cordell, Norman R, et al. Rocaglaol Induces Apoptosis and Cell Cycle Arrest in LNCaP Cells. Anticancer Res. 2006; 26(2A): 947-52.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.