Antioxidant Activity of Prenylated Flavonoid Compound from Dichloromethane Extract of Artocarpus communis Leaves
This research investigated the antioxidant activity of prenylated flavonoid compound from the ichloromethane extract of Artocarpus communis leaves on 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl hydrazyl free radicals scavenging assay. The dichoromethane extract of Artocarpus communis leaves was fractionated by column chromatography techniques on silica gel, and each fraction was assayed for its activity. The active compound, 1-(2,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-3-[8-hydroxy-2-methyl-2-(4-methyl-3-pentenyl)-2H-1-benzopyran-5-yl] 1-propanone, showed moderate antioxidant activity with IC50 54.6 μg mL-1.
2. Block G and Langseth L. Antioxidant vitamins and disease prevention. Food Tech. 1994. 28:80-4.
3. Eisei PT. Medical Herb Index in Indonesia. 1986. 184.
4. Nomura,T and Hano Y. Isoprenoid substituted phenolic compounds of moraceous plants. Nat Prod Rep. 1994.11:205-18.
5. Nomura T, Hano Y, and Aida M. Isoprenoid substituted flavonoids from Artocarpus plants (Moraceae). Heterocycles. 1998. 47:1179-204.
6. Chung M-I, Ko H-H, Yen M-H, Lin C-N. Artocarpol A, a novel constituent with potent anti-inflammatory effect, isolated from Artocarpus rigida. Helv Chim Acta. 2000. 83: 1200-04.
7. Lin C-N, Lu C-M, Lin H-C, Fang S-C, Shieh B-J, Hsu M-F, Wang J-P, Ko F-N, Teng C-M. Novel antiplatelet constituents from formosan Moraceous plants. J Nat Prod. 1996. 59(9): 834-38.
8. Ko F-N, Cheng Z-J, Lin C-N,Teng C-M. Scavenger and antioxidant properties of prenylflavones isolated from Artocarpus heterophyllus. Free Radical Biol Med. 1998. 25: 160-68.
9. Sato M, Fujiwara S, Tsuchiya H, Fujii T, Linuma, M, Tosa H, Ohkawa Y. Flavones with antibacterial activity against cariogenic bacteria. J Ethnopharmacol. 1996. 54: 171-6.
10. Nascimento MSJ, Cidade H, Pinto M, Kijjoa A. Anticomplementary activity of prenylated flavones from Artocarpus elasticus. Pharm Pharmacol Lett. 1997. 7: 135.
11. Shimizu K, Kondo R, Sakai K, Lee SH, Sato H. The inhibitory components from Artocarpus incisus on melanin biosynthesis. Planta Med. 1998. 64: 408-12.
12. Shimizu K, Kondo R, Sakai K. Inhibition of tyrosinase by flavonoids, stilbenes and related 4-substituted recorcinols: structure-activity investigations. Planta Med. 2000. 66(1): 11-5.
13. Likhitwitayawuid K, Sornsute A, Sritularak B, and Ploypradith, P. Chemical transformations of oxyresveratrol (trans-2,4,30,50-tetrahydroxystilbene) into a potent tyrosinase inhibitor and a strong cytotoxic agent. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2006. 16: 5650-53.
14. Shimizu K, Fukuda M, Kondo R, Sakai K. The 5 alphareductase inhibitory components from heartwood of Artocarpus incisus: structure-activity investigation. Planta Med. 2000. 66(1): 16-9.
15. Parenti P, Pizzigoni A, Hanozet G, Hakim EH, Makmur L, Achmad SA, Giordana BA. New Prenylated Flavone from Artocarpus champeden inhibits the K+- Dependent Amino Acid Transport in Bombyx Mori Midgut. Biochemical and Biophysical Research communications. 1998. 244(2): 445-8.
16. Verheij EWM, Coronel RE (Eds). Plant resources of South-East Asia, No.2, edible fruit and nuts. PROSEA: Bogor,Indonesia; 1992. 79-96.
17. Lotulung PDN, Fajriah S, Hanafi M, Filaila E. Identification of Cytotoxic compound from Artocarpus communis Leaves against P-388 Cells. Pakistant Journal of biological sciences. 2008. 11(21): 2517-20.
18. Yen,G-C and Chen H-Y. Antioxidant Activity of Various Tea Extracts in Relation to Their Antimutagenicity. J Agric Food Chem. 1995. 43: 27-32.
19. Lotulung PDN, Minarti, Kardono LBS, Kawanishi K. Antioxidant compound from the rhizomes of kaempferia rotunda L. Pakistant Journal of biological sciences. 2008. 11(20): 2447-50.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.