Immune-Enhancing Effect of Ethanol Extract of Pegagan Herb (Centella Asiatica Urban) on Rat
This research had been conducted to verify the activity of ethanolic extract of Pegagan or Centella asiatica Urban (CA) from Indonesia as immune enhancing with the activity and capacity of peritoneal macrophages as parameters tested. Sprague Dawley male rats were divided into 4 groups of 5 rats each. Dose 1, dose 2 and dose 3 groups were treated with extract at the dose of 10, 20 and 40 mg/200 g b.w. p.o. for 15 consecutive days, respectively, and the control group was supplemented with carrier. One day after the last treatment, all rats were sacrificed after induced by Staphylococcus epidermidis (109 CFU per rat) i.p. and then the activity and capacity of peritoneal macrophages were examined with giemsa staining microscopically. The results showed that the immune-enhancing effect of the extract was a dose dependent manner. Based on statistical analysis (ANOVA, p < 0.05), the administration of CA extract at the dose of 40 mg/200 g bw demonstrated the highest result and differed from control group significantly (96% of macrophage activity and 61 bacteria of macrophage capacity). From these experiments could be concluded that the ethanolic extract of CA had potential to be developed as immune-enhancing agent. However, it was still needed to conduct further study for elaborating the mechanism of immune enhancer completely.
2. Definition of macrophage, accessed from http://www. medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?Articlekey=4238, 29 April 2011).
3. Munawaroh F, Sudarsono, and Yuswanto Ag. Pengaruh pemberian ekstrak etanolik daun sembung (blumeae folium) terhadap fagositosis makrofag pada mencit jantan yang diinfeksi dengan Listeria monocytogenes, accessed from http://mot.farmasi.ugm.ac.id/files/77Daun%20 sembung_farida%20Baru.pdf, 29 April 2011.
4. Punturee K, Wild CP, and Vinitketkumnuen WKU. Immunomodulatory Activities of Centella asiatica and Rhinacanthus nasutus Extracts. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2005. 6: 396-400
5. Wang XS, Zheng Y, Zuo JP, and Fang JN. Structural features of an immunoactive acidic arabinogalactan from Centella asiatica. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2005. 59: 281–8.
6. Kumar S, Gupta P, Sharma S, and Kumar D. A review on immunostimulatory plants, Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2011. 9 (2): 117-28.
7. Inamdar EK, Yeole RD, Ghogare AB, and de Souza NJ. Determination of biologically active constituents in Centella Asiatica. Journal of Chromatography A. 1996. 742 : 127-130.
8. Randriamampionona D, Diallo B, Rakotoniriana F, Rabemanantsoa C, Cheuk K, Corbisier AM, Mahillon J, Ratsimamanga S, and El Jaziri M. Comparative analysis of active constituents in Centella asiatica samples from Madagascar: Application for ex situ conservation and clonal propagation. Fitoterapia. 2007. (78): 482–9.
9. Aly R, Shinefield LHI , Strauss WG, and Maibach HI . Bacterial Adherence to Nasal Mucosal Cells. Infection and Immunity. 1977. 546-9.
10. Ningsih S and Wibowo AE. Efek Imunostimulant ekstrak meniran (Phyllanthus niruri L.) secara in vivo pada tikus. Jurnal Bahan Alam Indonesia (The Indonesian Journal of Natural Products). 2008. 6(3): 25-9.
11. Bellanti JA. and Kadlec JV. Prinsip-Prinsip Imunologi dan Imunobiologi Umum (Bab 1 dan 2) Imunologi III . Penerjemah: Wahab AS; Yogyakarta: Penerbit Gadjah Mada University Press; 1993. 20.
12. Mali RG and Hatapakki BC. An in vitro study of Effect of Centella asiatica on Phagocytosis by Human Neutrophils. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2008. 1(3): 297-302.
13. Wang XS, Liu L, and Fang JN. Immunological activities and structure of pectin from Centella asiatica. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2005. (60): 95–101.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.