Culturation of Fermented Milk Samples Containing Probiotic and Its Identification by PCR
Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB) has long been used in fermented milk because its stability, unique taste and texture and also for its health benents that are provided by the probiotic. There are many fermented dairy products in the market nowadays that declared containing living culture or as probiotics. The aim of this study was to identify LAB from fermented milk product by Visual inspection on plate culture for their morphology, as well by molecular technique performing PCR and DNA sequencing methods. Morphology and growth incubation time of each isolate was observed. A pair of primer that is highly speciiic for LAB targeting the gene encoding for 168 rRNA, which represents sequences of region 677 to 693 of E. coli numbering has been used for PCR identiiication in this study. A total of nineteen isolates were obtained from 10 fermented milk samples that were grown on de Mann Rogosa Sharpe Agar (MRSA) media. Nine out of 19 isolates which represent each of the samples were selected. Genomic DNA extracted from those 9 isolates were used as template for PCR. The results showed that 8 amplicons were positively identitied as LAB, but only three identities indicated similar species as declared, while 5 others did not.
2. Anonim. An introduction to probiotics. diambil dari: URL: http://nccam.nih.gov/ health/probiotics/ introductionhtm. diakses 07 Maret 2011, pk. 20.40.
3. Parvez S, Malik KA, Ah Kang S, Kim H-Y. Probiotics and their fermented food products are beneficial for health. J Appl Microbiol. 2006. 100:1171-85.
4. Ljungh A, Wadstrom T. Lactic acid bacteria as probiotics. Curr Issues Intest Microbiol. 2006. 7(2):73-89
5. Heilig HGHJ, Zoetendal EG, Vaughan EE, Marteau P, Akkermans ADL, de Vos WM. Molecular diversity of Lactobacillus sp. and other lactic acid bacteria in the human intestine as determined by specific amplification of 16S ribosomal DNA. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2002. 68:114-23. .
6. Malik A, Felicia, Radji M, Oetari A. ldentiiikasi bakteri asam laktat penghasil eksopolisakarida asal sumber lokal menggunakan gen penyandi 16S rRNA. Sains Indones. 2007. 12(2):1-6
7. De Man JC, Rogosa M, Sharpe ME. A medium for the cultivation of lactobacilli. J Appl Bacteriol.1960. 23:130-5
8. Malik A, Ariestanti DM, Nurfachtiyani A, Yanuar A. Skrining gen glukosiltransferase (gti) dari bakteri asam laktat penghasil eksopolisakarida. Makara (Seri Sains). 2008. 1221-6.
9. Malik A, Radji M, Kran S, Dijkhuizen L. Screening of lactic acid bacteria from Indonesia reveals glucansucrase and fructansucrase genes in two different Weissella confuse: strains from soya. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2009. 300:131-8.
10. Malik A, Hermawati AK, Hestiningtyas M, SoemiatiA, Radji M. Isolasi dan skrining molekuler bakteri asam laktat pembawa gen glukansukrase dari makanan dan minuman mengandung gula. Makara (Sains). 2010. 14:57-62.
11. Geneaid. Gel/PCR DNA Fragments Extraction Kit. October, 2002.
12. Altsehul SF, Gish W, Miller W, Myers EW, Lipman DJ. Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol. 1990. 215(3):403-10.
13.Weaver RF. Molecular biology. 3rd Edition. New York: McGraW Hill; 2005. 99-106
14. Mahenthiralingam E, Marchbank A, Drevinek P, Garaiova I, Plummer S. Use of colony-based bacterial strain typing for tracking the fate of Lactobacillus strains during human consumption. BMC Microbiol. ' 2009. (9):251-65.
15. Randazzo CL, Torriani S, Akkermans ADL, Vos WM de, Vaughan EE. Diversity, dynamics, and activity of bacterial communities during production of an artisanal Sicilian cheese as evaluated by 168 rRNA analysis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2002. 68(4):1882-92.
16. Alberts B, Johnson A, Lewis J, Raff M, Roberts K, Walter P. Molecular biology of the cell, 5th, New York: Garland Science, Taylor & Francis Group. G: 15 & G: 28.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.