Cytotoxicity and Antioxidant Activity Tests on T yphonium divuricatum (L) Decne Leaves
Cytotoxic and antioxidant activities of Typhonium divaricatum (L) Decne leaves extract have been explored. Preliminary phytocheinical screening on the extract were carried out for the compound`s profile. Biological activity was measured by using Brine Shrimp Lethality Test (BSLT), while cytotoxic activity was conducted on breast cancer cell line T-47D using MTT method, Antioxidant activity was measured by using DPPH free radical scavenging method. The results of phytochemical screening showed that the methanol extract contained Havonoid, saponin and steroid/triterpenoid compounds, meanwhile thc n-hexane extract contained steroid/triterpenoid compounds only. The highest biological activity was found in methanol extract (IC50 = 32.9 ppm). The highest cytotoxic activity was shown by n-hexane extract (IC50 = 32.50 ppm). The highest antioxidant activity using vitamin C as positive control was found in methanol extract (IC50 = 56.63 ppm). The preliminary results indicated that Typhonium divaricatum (L) Decne lcavcs is potential for anticancer and free radical scavenger.
2. Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia Farnsworth NR. Biological and phytochemical screening of plant. J Pharm Sci. 1996. 5599 (3): 225-76.
3. Meyer BN. Brine shrimp: a convenient general bioassay for active plant constituent. Planta Medica, 1982. 45: 31-4.
4. McLaughlin JL, Anderson JE. A blind comparation of single bench-top bioassay and human tumor cell. Cytotoxicities studies as Anti tumor prescreens. Phytochemical Anaiysis, 1991. 2: 107-11.
5. Wilson AP. Cytotoxicity and viability assays, 1n: Masters _TRW [Editor] Animal cell culture: A Practical Approach. 3rd ed, New York: Oxford University Press; 2000. 263-4; 272,
6. McLaughlin JL and Rogers LL. The use of biological assay to evaluate botanica1s.Drug1nformation Journal. 1998. 32:513-24.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.