Cardioprotective Potential of Ethanol Extract of Sonchus Arvensis L. Leaves on Isoproterenol-Induced Myocardial Infarction in Rat
Sonchus arvensis L. leaves have been used traditionally to treat various disease conditions. This study is designed to evaluate cardioprotective potential of ethanol extract of S. arvensis leaves on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in Wistar rat. Male Wistar albino rats were divided into three main groups: negative control (saline only), positive control (isoproterenol only), and S. arvensis extract treated groups. S. arvensis extract was administered in three doses; 50, 100, and 200 mg/kg b.w. p.o for 14 days. On day 13 and 14, isoproterenol (85 mg/kg bw) was given intraperitoneally to positive control and extract treated groups. The parameters studied were cardiac biomarker enzymes which were Creatine Kinase (CK), Creatine Kinase-MB (CK-MB), Aspartate Transaminase (AST), Alanine Transaminase (ALT) and Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH). The results showed that S. arvensis at dose of 50 mg/kg b.w. could significantly (P<0.05) reduce the level of CK, CK-MB, AST, ALT, and LDH in myocardial infarcted rats compared to positive control. The increase of the dose of S. arvensis extract was not followed by an increase of its cardioprotective activity. In conclusion, Sonchus arvensis L. leaves extract at dose of 50 mg/kg b.w. has potential to be developed as cardioprotective drug.
2. Grimm D, Elsner D, Schunkert H, Pfeifer M, Griese D, Bruckschlegel G, et al. Development of Heart Failure Following Isoproterenol Administration in the Rat: Role of the Renin–Angiotensin System. Cardiovasc Res. 1998.37:91–100.
3. Boluyt MO, Long X, Eschenhagen T, Mende U, Schmitz W, Crow MT, et al. Isoproterenol Infusion Alteration in Expression of Hypertropy-Associated Genes in Rat Heart. Am J Physiol. 1995.269:638-647.
4. Sagor MAT, Tabassum N, Potol MA, Alam MA. Xanthine Oxidase Inhibitor, Allopurinol, Prevented Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Myocardial Damage in Isoproterenol Induced Aged Rats. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2015: 478039.
5. Bramwell D, Dakshini KMM. Luteolin 7-O glucoside and Hydroxycoumarins in Canary Island Sonchus Species. Phytochemistry. 1971.10:2245-2246.
6. Khan RA. Evaluation of flavonoids and diverse antioxidant activities of Sonchus arvensis. Chem Cent J. 2012.6:126.
7. Larson AJ, Symons JD, Jalili T. Therapeutic Potential of Quercetin to Decrease Blood Pressure: review of Efficacy and Mechanisms. Adv Nutr. 2012.3(1):39-46.
8. Dipiro TJ, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey M. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 9th ed. New York: Robert L. Talbert; McGraw Hill Education; 2014. p.291-298.
9. Dhalla NS, Temsah RM, Netticadan T. Role of oxidative stress in cardiovascular disease. J Hypertens. 2000.18(6):655-673.
10. Feron O. Pyruvate into lactate and back: from the Warburg effect to symbiotic energy fuel exchange in cancer cells. Radiother Oncol. 2009.92(3):329–333.
11. Karlsson M, Wiberg-Itzel E, Chakkarapani E, Blennow M, Winbladh B, Thoresen M. Lactate dehydrogenase predicts hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy in newborn infants: a preliminary study. Acta Paediatr. 2010.99(8):1139–1144.
12. Kato GJ, McGowan V, Machado RF, Little JA, Taylor J 6th, Morris CR, et al. Lactate dehydrogenase as a biomarker of hemolysis-associated nitric oxide resistance, priapism, leg ulceration, pulmonary hypertension, and death in patients with sickle cell disease. Blood. 2006.107(6):2279–2285.
13. Eigentler TK, Figl A, Krex D, Mohr P, Mauch C, Rass K, et al. Number of metastases, serum lactate dehydrogenase level, and type of treatment are prognostic factors in patients with brain metastases of malignant melanoma. Cancer. 2011.117(8):1697–1703.
14. Mohan M, Patankar P, Ghadi P, Kasture S. Cardioprotective potential of Punica granatum extract in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in Wistar rats. J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2010.1(1):32-37.
15. Yousefi K, Soraya H, Fathiazad F, Khorrami A, Hamedeyazdan S, Maleki-Dizaji N, et al. Cardioprotective effect of methanolic extract of Marrubium vulgare L. on isoproterenol-induced acute myocardial infarction in rats. Indian J Exp Biol. 2013.51(8):653-660.
16. Patel KJ, Panchasara AK, Barvaliya MJ, Purohit BM, Baxi SN, Vadgama VK, et al. Evaluation of cardioprotective effect of aqueous extract of Garcinia indica Linn. fruit rinds on isoprenaline-induced myocardial injury in Wistar albino rats. Res Pharm Sci. 2015.10(5):388-396.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.