Effect of Gold Sea Cucumber (Stichopus hermanni) Extract Concentration on Antioxidant Activity of Grape Seed Oil (Vitis vinifera) nanoemulsion
Gold sea cucumber extract (Stichopus hermanni) is rich in collagen and unsatturated fatty acid also known omega 3 such as docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid that highly effective as an antioxidant. Oligomeric proanthocyanidin is the main content in grape seed oil and the most powerful antioxidant agent that can protect collagen. The aim of research was to determine the effect of gold sea cucumber extract concetration on antioxidant activity of grape seed oil nanoemulsion. The three formulas with results test of antioxidant activity with DPPH method using 15% Brij CS12® and 30% propylene glycol has done which the oil phase was dispersed in the aqueous phase.Variation that have been done is to use the antioxidant activity (IC50) of gold sea cucumber extract for 2, 4, and 6 times. The resulting preparations was conformed of organoleptic, nanoemulsion type, clarity, globule size, viscosity and rheology, pH and freez thaw test. Antioxidant activity of gold sea cucumber extract and grape seed oil were (IC50= 53.79 and 17.41 μg/mL respectively). The nanoemulsion was analysed using two-way ANOVA method. Antioxidant activity at storage for 0; 2 and 4-weeks of formula I, II, III were (IC50= 49.15; 49.45, 51.15 µg/mL), (IC50= 44.12, 47.48, 48.14 µg/mL), and (IC50= 42.14, 43.45, 45.33 µg/mL) respectively. Can be concluded that the higher concentration of gold sea cucumber extract, the antioxidant activity of nanoemulsion is higher, but it decreased during the storage.
2. Maddin S. Moisturizer: What They Are and A Practical Approach to Product Selection. Skin Therapy Letter; 2005. p. 1-12
3. European Food Safety Authority. Scientific Opinion on Substantiation of Health Claims related to Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Docosapentaenoic acid (DPA). EFSA Journal. 2011:1796
4. Sravanthi KN, Unnisa R, Prashanth Y, Sudhakar M. Grape Seed Extract- a Therapeutic Review. International Journal of Pharmacy. 2013:323-7
5. Cristina D, Ana O, Mircea O. Valorization of Grape by-products. American Journal of Environmental Protection. 2015:134-8
6. Daniel S, Reto M, Fred Z. Collagen Glycation and Skin Aging. Cosmetic and Toiletries Manufacture Worldwide. 2002. p 1-6
7. Adnan A, Mohammad R, Farhan J.A. Nanoemulsion Components Screening and Selection. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2009:69-76
8. Akram T, Shahrbanoo O, Gholamhossin V. Introducing a Holothorian sea cucumber species Stichopus hermannifrom. Kish island in the Persian Gulf in Iran. Singapore :IACSIT Press; 2011. p. 138-43
9. Zhang S, Yang HY, Hai FT. Bioactive Triterpene Glycosides from the sea cucumber Holothuria fuscocinerea. Jur.Nat.Prod. 2006:1492-5
10. Mamelona J, Pelletier EM, Girard L. Quantification of phenolic contents and antioxidant capacity of Atlantic Sea Cucumber Cucumaria frondosa. Food Chem; 2007. p.1040-7
11. Michael T, Murray ND. Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins. Wellness Journal. 2007: 2-4
12. En QX, Gui FD, Ya JG. Biological Activities of Polyphenols from Grapes. International Journal of Molecular Science. 2010:622-46
13. Baumann L, Sagari S. Photoaging. In: Bauman L, editors. Cosmetic Dermatology. 2nd. Ed. New York:The MC Graw Hill; 2009. p. 3-6, 13, 105.
14. Surbhi S, Kumkum S. Nanoemulsion for Cosmetics. International Journal of Advanced Research in Pharmaceutical and Bio Sciences. 2012: 408-15
15. Sinan O. Nanoemulsion in Cosmetics. Anadolu University: MatS&E dept; 2013. p. 3-4
16. Fanun M, editor. Microemulsion Properties and Aplication. New York: CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group; 2009. p. xxi, 19.
17. Sinko P.J. Farmasi Fisik Dasar-dasar Kimia Fisik dalam Ilmu Farmasetik, edisi ke 5. Jakarta: Penerbit Buku Kedokteran EGC; 2013. h. 443, 476-8, 509.
18. Council of Europe (COE) – European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines. European pharmacopoeia 5th edition volume 2. Strasbourg: Council of Europe; 2005. p 1943
19. Rowe R, Sheskey P, Quinn M. The handbook of pharmaceutical excipients. 7th edition. London: American Pharm Ass; 2014. p. 73, 349, 441, 592-6.
20. Aulton ME, Taylor KMG. Aulton’s Pharmaceutics: The Design and Manufacture of Medicines. 4th. edition. Edinburg: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2013. p. 364-6.
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.