Physical Quality Evaluation Of Body Butter Formulation From Etanol Extract Of Mangosteen (Garcinia Mangostana L.) Rind
The rind of the mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.) contains many xanthones which have anti-infl ammatory and antioxidant activity that can counteract free radicals and prevent or inhibit cell degeneration (inhibiting aging). Utilization of mangosteen rind generally in the form of powder capsule. The lack of utilization in topical dosage forms makes the researcher interested in making a body butter of ethanol extract of mangosteen rind and evaluating its physical quality. Simplicia of mangosteen rind were dried using oven at 50 °C. Mangosteen rind extract was obtained from the maceration of simplicia powder with 96% ethanol solvent. The formula of body butter mangosteen rind extract is prepared based on the literature study. The body butter was evaluated for organoleptic, pH, adherence, spreading, homogeneity test, and physical stability test for five months. Besides using literature standards, researchers also using body butter that has been market legally as a comparison in evaluated its physical quality. Based on the statistical analysis, it can be concluded that the preparation of body butter extract of mangosteen rind has a good physical quality compared with the body butter that has been market legally. Physical stability for five months showed that the body butter of mangosteen rind extract was stable.
2. Arikumalasari J dkk. Optimasi HPMC sebagai gelling agent dalam formula gel ekstrak kulit buah manggis (Garcinia mangostana L.) [Skripsi]. Denpasar: Jurusan Farmasi Fakultas Matematika Dan Ilmu Pengetahuan Alam Universitas Udayana; 2013.
3. Barel AO, Paye M, Maibach HI. Handbook of cosmetic science and technology. Third Edition. New York: Informa Healthcare USA; 2009.
4. Budiana NS. Buah ajaib tumpas penyakit. Jakarta: Penerbit Swadaya; 2003.116-7.
5. Dewi R, Anwar E, Yunita. Uji stabilitas fisik formula krim yang mengandung ekstrak kacang kedelai (Glycine max). Pharm Sci Res. 2016.194-208.
6. Garg A, Aggarwal D, Garg S, Singla AK. Speading of semisolid formulation an update. USA: Phamaceutical Technology; 2002.
7. Juwita AP dkk. Formulasi krim ekstrak etanol daun lamun (Syringodium isoetifolium). Pharmacon Jurnal Ilmiah Farmasi. 2013. 2(2):8-12.
8. Marinda WS. 2012, Formulasi dan uji stabilitas fisik gel liposom yang mengandung fraksinasi ekstrak metanol kulit manggis [skripsi]. Depok: Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Indonesia; 2002.
9. Supardan, Muhamad Dani, Ruslan, Satriana, Normalina Arpi. Hidrodistilasi minyak jahe (Zingiber offi cinale Rosc.) menggunakan gelombang ultrasonik [skripsi]. Banda Aceh: Universitas Syiah Kuala; 2009. 10. World Health Organization (WHO). WHO technical report series. 2009. No. 953:92.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.