Anti–Platelet Aggregation Effect from Ethanol Extract of Salam Leaves (Syzygium polyanthum (Wight) Walp.) on Mice
Salam leaves (Syzygium polyanthum (Wight) Walp.) contains flavonoids, volatile oil and phenolic acid that can inhibiting platelet aggregation induced by ADP (adenosine diphospate), arachidonic acid, epinephrine, thrombin, collagen and aff ecting the activity enzyme ectonucleotidase so it can be used as anti-platelet drug. The purpose of this study was to investigated 70% ethanol extract of salam leaves have anti-platelet aggregation eff ect and increase of dose can also increase anti-platelet aggregation. This study was performed in 5 groups, each group consisted of 5 mice there were: groups of positive control, normal control, 70% ethanol extract leaves doses (150, 300, 450) mg/ kg, each group is given orally once daily during 8 days and measurements of parameters at day-0 and day-9th. The results of this study was 70% ethanol extract of leaves of salam leaves doses (150,300, 450) mg/kgBW showed the effects prolong bleeding time, coagulation time, enhance the decreased plasma absorbance after the addition of ADP. From the measurement parameter bleeding time, coagulation time and measurement decreased plasma absorbance after the addition of ADP that 70% ethanol extract of salam leaves doses 150, 300 and 450 mg/kgBW have anti-platelet aggregation eff ect and increase of dose was able to increase the eff ect anti-platelet aggregation.
2. Off ermans, Stefan. Activation of platelet function through G protein–coupled receptors. Circulation Research 2006.99:1293–1304.
3. Saeed SA, Gilani AH. Antithrombotic activity of clove oil. Journal Pakistan Medical Association. 1994.44:112.
4. Syamsul hidayat, Sugati Sri, Hutapea, Ria Johnny. Inventaris tanaman obat Indonesia I. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan RI, Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan; 1991. 238.
5. Setyawati R. Uji aktivitas antiplatelet & trombolitik ekstrak etanol kulit buah jeruk purut (Citrus hystrix D.C) in vitro [skripsi]. Jember: Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Jember; 2015.
6. Carson CF and Riley TV. Antimicrobial activity of the major components of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia. Journal of Applied Bacteriology. 1995.78: 264–9.
7. Saeed SA, Simjee RU, Shamim G, Gilani AH. Eugenol: a dual inhibitor of platelet- activating factor and arachidonic acid metabolism. Phytomedicine. 1995. 2(1):23-8.
8. Chen SJ, Wang MH, Chen IJ. Antiplatelet and calcium inhibitory properties of eugenol and sodium eugenol acetate. Gen Pharmac. 1996.27(4):629-33.
9. Oh WJ, Endale M, Park SC, Cho YJ, Rhee MH. Dual roles of quercetin in platelet phosphoinositide–3 kinase and MAP kinases inhibition and cAMP-dependent vasodilator – stimulated phosphoprotein stimulation. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012:1-10.
10. Wright Bernice, Moraes LA, Kemp CF, Mullen William, Crozier Alan, Lovegrove JA, et al. A structural basis for the inhibition of collagen-stimulated platelet function by quercetin and structurally related flavonoids. British Pharmacology Journal. 2010.159:1312-25. doi:10.1111/j.1476-5381.2009.00632.x.
11. YS Elin, IS Joseph, F Nurul. Efek antiagregasi platelet ekstrak etanol buah mengkudu (Morinda citrifolia L.), rimpang jahe merah (Zingiber offi cinale var. Sunti Val) dan kombinasinya pada mencit jantan galur Swiss Webster. JKM. 2008.7:1-18.
12. KC Srivastava, T Mustafa. Spices: Antiplatelet activity and prostanoid metabolism. In: Prostaglandins leukotrimes and essential fatty acids: Reviews. 1989. 38:255-66.
13. Ghasemzadeh A, Jaafar HZE, Rahmat A. Variation of the phytochemical constituents and antioxidant activities of Zingiber offi cinale var. rubrum Theilade associated with diff erent drying methods and polyphenol oxidase activity. Molecules. 2016;21:780.
14. Samudra A. Karakterisasi ekstrak etanol daun salam (Syzygium polyanthum Wight) dari tiga tempat tumbuh Indonesia [Skripsi]. Jakarta : Fakultas Kedokteran dan Ilmu Kesehatan Program Studi Farmasi UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta; 2014.
15. Sukandar EY, Sigit JI, Fitriani, Nurul. Efek antiagregasi platelet ekstrak air bulbus bawang putih (Allium sativum L.), ekstrak etanol rimpang kunyit (Curcuma domestica Val.) dan kombinasinya pada mencit jantan galur Swiss Webster. Majalah Farmasi Indonesia. 2008.19(1):1–11.
16. Gresele P, Fuster V, Lopez JA, Page CP, Vermylen J, editor. Platelets in hematologic & cardiovascular disorder. New York : Cambridge press; 2008. 87:293–5.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.