Subacute Toxicity Effect of Psidium guajava Leaves Ethanolic Extract on Gaster in Wistar Rat
Psidium guajava leaves have been proven be antiallergic. From the results of previous research, the ethanol extract of leaves is included in the class materials "Practically Non-Toxic." However, repeated administration may cause toxic effects on body organs, one of which was gaster. Subchronic toxicity had been carried out on 20 male Wistar rats and 20 female wistar albino rats. The test materials were administered orally, every day for 28 days. There are 3 (three) doses of test materials which were 250 mg, 500 mg, and 750 mg/kg BW. Observation of the general toxic effect was performed everyday, then organ sampling was performed on day 29 to examined gaster histology and score using Barthel-Manja methods. The result showed that administration of Psidium guajava leaves extract for 28 days caused physical and behavioral changes, caused soft and mucous feces, and also respiratory disorder. But the extract at dose 250 mg, 500 mg and 750 mg/kg BW did not caused changes on gaster histology profile and score. In conclusion, the extract did not have subchronic toxicity effect on gaster rat, but might caused general toxic effect in the higher dose.
2. Han, E.H., Hwang, Y.P, Kim, H.G., Park., J.H., Choi, J.H.,Hye Im, J., et al., 2011a, Ethyl acetate extract of Psidium guajava inhibits IgE-mediated allergic responses by blocking FcεRI signaling, Food and Chemical Toxicology, 49(1): 100-108.
3. Choi, J.H., Park, B.H., Kim, H.G., Hwang, Y.P., Han, E.H., Jin, S.W., Seo, J.K., Chung, Y.C., Jeong, H.G., 2012, Inhibitory effect of Psidium guajava water extract in the development of 2,4-dinitrochlorobenzene-induced atopic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice, Food and Chemical Toxicology, 50 (8): 2923-2929.
4. Han, E.H., Hwang, Y.P., Choi, J.H., Yang, J.H., Seo, J.K., Chung, Y.C., Jeong, H.G., 2011b, Psidium guajava extract inhibits thymus and activation-regulated chemokine (TARC/CCL17) production in human keratinocytes by inducing heme oxygenase-1 and blocking NF-κB and STAT1 activation, Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, 32 (2): 136-145.
5. Baroroh, H.N., Utami, E.D., Harwoko, 2016, Inhibitory effect of ethanolic extract of Psidium guajava leaves in rat active cutaneus anaphylaxis reaction, IJPCR, 8 (1).
6. Hakiki, N., 2016, Efek Farksi Etil Asetat Daun Jambu Biji Terhadap Degranulasi Sel Mast dan Hitung Eosinofil Darah Tikus Model Anafilaksis Kutaneus Aktif, Skripsi, Jurusan Farmasi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman, Purwokerto.
7. Cavalher-Machado, S.C., Rosas, E.C., Brito Fde, A., Heringe, A.P., de Oliveira, R.R., Kaplan, M.A., et al., 2008, The anti allergic activity of the acetate fraction of Schinus terebinthifolius leaves in IgE induced mice paw edema and pleurisy, Int. Immunopharmacol, 8:1552-1560.
8. Tachakittirungrod, S., Ikegami, F.,Okonogi, S., 2007, Antioxidant active principles isolated from Psidium guajava grown in Thailand, Sci.Pharm.,75:
9. Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan (BPOM), 2008, Menggunakan obat bahan alam dengan bijaksana, dalam Natura Kos, III, 9, Jakarta.
10. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), 2008, OECD Guidelines For The Testing of Chemicals Repeated Dose 28-Day Oral Toxicity Study in Rodents), Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, Paris, 3-5.
11. World Health Organization (WHO), 2000, General Guidelines for Methodologies on Research and Evaluation of Traditional Medicine, World Health Organization, Geneva, 29.
12. Naini, A., 2004,Uji Toksisitas Akut Ekstrak Daun Psidium Guava Linn (Daun Jambu Biji) Terhadap Mencit (Mus Musculus), Jakarta, IJD, 11 (2) : 63-65.
13. Etuk U.U and Francis U.U, 2003, Acute Toxicity and Efficacy of Psidium guajava Leaves Water Extract on Salmonella typhi Infected Wistar Rats,
Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 6(3): 195-197.
14. Ganong, W.F. 2002. Fisiologi Kedokteran. ed 2. Jakarta: EGC.
15. Kasper, D.L., Braunwald, E., Fauci, A.S. 2008. Endocrinology In Harrison’s
Principle of Internal Medicine. ed 17. New Yorks: Mc. Graw Hill.
16. Astri, Y., Truly, S., Joseph, I., Sigit, Muchtan, S. 2012. Toksisitas akut peroral ekstrak etanol daun dewa (Gynura procumbens (Lour.) Mer) terhadap kondisi lambung tikus jantan dan betina galur wistar. MKB. 44(1):38 – 43
17. Tortora, G.J. 2012. The Digestive Systems In:Principles of anatomy & physiology.ed 13. Jakarta: EGC
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.