Effect of Pleurotus Ostreatus on Pancreatic Beta Cells of Diabetes Mellitus Mice Model
Over the last 30 years, the number of people suffering from diabetes mellitus has doubled globally. Adipose tissue dysfunction plays an important role in insulin resistance. Mushroom has been traditionally used to prevent diabetes. This research aims to study the anti-oxidative effect of Pleurotus ostreatus on pancreatic beta cells. This study is an experimental posttest only control group design. The subjects were 24 male wistar mice, divided into six groups. Group P0 was given distilled water and citrate buffer. Group P1 was given high fat diet (HFD) and low dose streptozotocin (STZ). Group P2 and 3 were given HFD and low dose STZ along with Pleurotus ostreatus ethanol extract. Group P4 and P5 were given HFD and low dose STZ, and then given Pleurotus ostreatus ethanol extract. Blood glucose levels and pancreatic beta cells area count were done after treatment. Data obtained was analyzed using one-way ANOVA test. One-way ANOVA test showed signifi cant difference in all the groups (p<0.05). Post Hoc test results showed difference in blood glucose levels and pancreatic beta cells area count. Pleurotus ostreatus ethanol extract can prevent cellular damage to murine pancreatic beta cells but unable to reverse the damage to the beta cells.
2. Chen L, Magliano DJ, Zimmet PZ. The Worldwide Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus -present and Future Perspectives. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2012. 8 (4): 228–236.
3. Yufang B, Wang T, Xu M, Xu Y, Li M, Lu J, et al. Advanced Research on Risk Factors of Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2012. 28 (Suppl 2): 32–39.
4. Ramachandran A, Snehalatha C, Shetty AS, Nanditha A. Trends in prevalence of diabetes in Asian countries. World Journal of Diabetes. 2012. 3(6):110–117.
5. Choi HK, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Rimm E, Hu FB. Dairy Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Men. Arch Intern Med. 2005. 165: 997–1003.
6. Risérus U, Willett WC, Hu FB. Dietary fats and prevention of type 2 diabetes. Progress in Lipid Rresearch. 2009. 48(1):44–51.
7. Eckel RH, Kahn SE, Ferrannini E, Goldfine AB, Nathan DM, Schwartz MW, et al. Obesity and type 2 diabetes: what can be unifi ed and what needs to be individualized?. Diabetes care. 2011. 34(6):1424–30.
8. Snel M, Jonker, JT, Schoones J, Lamb H, de Roos A, Pijl H, et al. Ectopic fat and insulin resistance: pathophysiology and effect of diet and lifestyle interventions. International Journal of Endocrinology. 2012.
9. Glass CK, Olefsky J. Infl ammation and lipid signaling in the etiology of insulin resistance. Cell Metabolism. 2012. 15(5):635–645.
10. Wolf G. Role of fatty acids in the development of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutrition reviews. 2008. 66(10):597–600.
11. Wei M, Ong L, Smith MT, Ross FB, Schmid K, Hoey AJ, et al. The Streptozotocin-diabetic Rat as a Model of the Chronic Complications of Human Diabetes. Heart, Lung & Circulation. 2003. 12 (1) (January): 44–50.
12. Tian HL, Wei LS, Xu ZX, Zhao RT, Jin DL, Gao JS. Correlations Between Blood Glucose Level and Diabetes Signs in Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Mice. Global J Pharmacol. 2010. 4(3): 111-116.
13. Rathee S, Rathee D, Rathee D, Kumar V, Rathee V. Mushrooms as therapeutic agents. Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia. 2012. 22(2): 459–474.
14. De Silva DD, Rapior S, Hyde KD, Bahkali AH. Medicinal mushrooms in prevention and control of diabetes mellitus. Fungal Diversity. 2012. 56:1–29.
15. 15. Patel Y, Naraian R, Singh V. Medicinal Properties of Pleurotus Species (Oyster Mushroom): A Review. 2012. World Journal of Fungal and Plant Biology. 2012. 3 (1): 01-12.
16. Ikrimah D. Inovasi Pengembangan Terapi Auto-Regenerasi Berbasis Mobilisasi Hematopoietic Stem Cell Pada Mencit Model DM Menggunakan Ekstrak Jamur Tiram (Pleurotus ostreatus) [skripsi]. Malang: Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Brawijaya; 2012.
17. Zhang M, Lv XY, Li J, Xu ZG, Chen L. The Characterization of High-Fat Diet and Multiple Low-Dose Streptozotocin Induced Type 2 Diabetes Rat Model. Experimental Diabetes Research. 2008 (January).
18. Szkudelski T. The Mechanism of Alloxan and Streptozotocin Action in B Cells of the Rat Pancreas. Physiological Research. 2001. 50: 536–46.
19. Kakkar R, Mantha SV, Radhi J, Prasad K, Kalra J. Increased Oxidative Stress in Rat Liver and Pancreas during Progression of Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes. Clinical Science. 1998. (94): 623–32.
20. Nosál’ová V, Bobek P, Cerná S, Galbavý S, Stvrtina S. Effects of Pleuran (β-Glucan Isolated from Pleurotus Ostreatus) on Experimental Colitis in Rats. Physiological Research. 2001. 50: 575–81.
21. Jayakumar T, Ramesh E, Geraldine P. Antioxidant Activity of the Oyster Mushroom, Pleurotus Ostreatus, on CCl4-Induced Liver Injury in Rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2006. 44 (12): 1989–96.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.