Antidiarrheal Effect of Water Extract of The Nagasari Flowers (Mesua ferrea L.) in BALB/c Mice Induced by Castor Oil
Nagasari (Mesua ferrea L.) has a empirically repute for management of diarrhea in West Nusa Tenggara Province. However, the safety and efficacy of the nagasari flowers extract have not been scientifically validated in animal model. This study wasaimed to investigate the antidiarrheal effect of water extract of the nagasari flowers in BALB/c mice. The antidiarrhea activity of nagasari flowerswas investigated using castor oil-induced diarrhea increase in diarrhea index in mice.In castor oil-induced diarrhea test, mice received various consentrations of nagasari flowers extract (0,4% w/v; 0,8% w/v; and 1,6% w/v), where as negative controls received CMC-Na 1% and positive controls received loperamide 0,7 mg/kgBW orally once daily for 1 day and the mice droppings were observed. The phytochemical screening of nagasari flowers contain flavonoid, saponin, and phenolic. Water extract of nagasari flowers at concentration 1,6% showed significant inhibitory activity against castor oil-induced diarrhea when compared with positive controls (diarrhea index 0,083 ; p>0,05). Therefore, this study provides a scientific support for the acclaimed traditional use water extract of Mesua ferrea L. for the treatment of diarrheal diseases.
2. Dinas Kesehatan Provinsi NTB. Profil Kesehatan Provinsi Nusa Tenggara Barat. NTB : Dinas Kesehatan Provinsi NTB. 2015.
3. Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Data dan Informasi Kesehatan Indonesia 2017. Jakarta : Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. 2018.
4. World Health Organization. The Rational Use of Drugs in the Management of Acute Diarrhoea in Children.
Geneva : World Health Organization. 1990.
5. Listiawati, N. P., Juniawan, I. B. H., Anom, A. A. I. A., Sudarsana, I. W. G., and Wibawa, I. G. J. S. Dharma Usadha Kuranta Bolong Klimosadha Sang Hyang Klimosadha. Diterjemahkan oleh Listiawati, N. P., Juniawan, I. B. H., Anom, A. A. I. A., Sudarsana, I. W. G., Wibawa, I. G. J. S. Mataram : STAHN Gde Pudja Mataram. 2016.
6. Mazumder, R., Dasridar, S. G., Basu, S. P., Mazumder, A., and Singh, S. K. Antibacterial Potentiality of Mesua ferrea Linn. Flowers. Phytotherapy Research. 2004. 18 : 824-26.
7. Gul, R., Jan, S. U., Faridullah, S., Sherani, S., and Jahan, N. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening, Quantitative Analysis of Alkaloids, and Antioxidant Activity of Crude Plant Extracts from Ephedra intermedia Indigenous to Balochistan. The Scientific World Journal.2017. 2017 : 1-7.
8. Hui, H., Chen, M., Li, G., Feng, H., et al. Andrographolide Attenuates Senna- and Castor Oil-induced Diarrhea in Mice. Latin American Journal of Pharmacy. 2013. 32(8): 1113-7.
9. Han, X., Pang, Y., Liu, S., Tan, Z., Tang, S., Zhou, C., et al. Antidiarrhea and Antioxidant Activities of Honokiol Extract from Magnoliae officinalis Cortex in Mice. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2014. 13 (10): 1643-51.
10. Yu, J., Zhang, Y., Song, X., Yang, Y., Jia, R., Chen, X, et al. Effect of Modified Pulsatilla Powder on Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli O101-Induced Diarrhea in Mice. Hindawi. 2017. 2017: 11.
11. Sahu, A. N., Hemalatha, S., and Sairam, K. Quality Control Studies of Mesua ferreaLiin. Flowers. International Journal of Herbal Medicine.2013. 1 (2):124-30.
12. Tunaru, S., Althoff, T. F., Nusing, R. M., Diener, M., and Offermanns, S. Castor Oil Induces Laxation and Uterus Contraction Via Ricinoleic Acid Activating Prostaglanding EP3 Receptors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. 2012. 109 (23): 9179-84.
13. Maniyar, Y., Bhixavatimath, P., and Agashikar, N. V. Antidiarrheal Activity of Flower of Ixora coccinea Linn. In Rats. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 2010. 1 (4): 287-91.
14. Tiwari, P. K., Irchhaiya, R., and Jain, S. K. Evaluation of Anticonvulsant Activity of Mesua ferrea Liin. Ethanolic Flower Extract. International Journal of Phamacy and Life Sciences, 2012. 3 (3): 1507-08.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.