Anti-Inflammation Activity Test of Nanoparticles Ethanol Extract of Temulawak Rhizome (Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb.) with Protein Denaturation Inhibition Method
Javanese turmeric rhizome (Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb.) has been known to have many health benefits as antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic and anticancer. The purpose of this study was to compare the anti-inflammatory activity of temulawak rhizome extract with its nanoparticles. Temulawak rhizome extract was obatained by maceration using 96% (v/v) ethanol as a solvent. The extracts were made into nanoparticles by ionic gelation method which used chitosan and tripolyphosphate. The results of antiinflammatory activity test using a method of inhibiting protein denaturation showed the persentage of inhibition of protein denaturation (IC50) of the extract of temulawak rhizome of 521.67±5.80 ppm while the IC50 of the nanoparticles was 398.02±1.78 ppm. Accordingly, the antiinflammatory activity of the nanoparticles was better than the extract of temulawak rhizome.
2. Devaraj S, Ismail S, Ramanathan S, Yam MF. 2014. Investigation of antioxidant and hepatopro¬tective activity of standardized Curcuma xanthorrhiza rhizoma in carbon tetrachlo¬ride-induced hepatic damaged rats. The Sci¬entific World Journal. 2014;1-8.
3. Wirawan D. 2015. pengaruh nanopartikel ekstrak temulawak (curcuma xantohrriza roxb.) berbasis kitosan na-tripolofosfat dalam sediaan gel terhadap aktivitas antiacne. Skripsi Universitas Pancasila.
4. Verma MA, Kumar PA; Kavitha D, Anurag KB. 2011. Anti Denaturation and Antioxidant Activities of Annona cherimola In Vitro. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, 2(2):1-6
5. Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur B, Kaur G, Kau H. 2011. Phytochemical screening and Extraction: A Review. Internationale Pharmaceutica Sciencia. 1(1): 98-106.
6. Ayoola GA, Coker HAB, Adesegun SA, Bello AAA, Obaweya K1, Ezennia EC, Atangbayila TO. 2008. Phytochemical Screening and Antioxidant Activities of Some Selected Medicinal Plants Used for Malaria Therapy in Southwestern Nigeria. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 7 (3): 1019-1024.
7. Williams LA, O'Connar A, Latore L, Dennis O, Ringer S, Whittaker JA, et al. 2008. The in vitro Anti-denaturation Effects Induded by Natural Products and Non-steroidal Compounds in Heat Treated (Immunogenic) Bovine Serum Albumin is Prposed as a Screening Assay for the Detection of Anti inflammatory Compounds, without the uses of Animals, in the Early Stages of the Drug Discovery Process. West Indian Med J; 57 (4): 327-330
8. Mizushima Y and Kobayashi M.1968. Interaction ofanti‐inflammatory drugs with serum preoteins, especially with some biologically active proteins. J of Pharma Pharmacol, 20:169‐ 173.
9. Leelaprakash G, Mohan Dass S. 2010. In vitro antiinflammatory activity of methanol extract of Enicostemma axillare, International Journal of Drug Development & Research 3:189-196.
10. Ingle PV, Patel DM. 2011. C-reactive protein in various disease condition – an overview, Asian J Pharm Clin Res 4(1):9-13.
11. Mann G. Chemistry of the proteids, London and New York. 1906; 336-344.
12. Robertson T B. The physical chemistry of the proteins, New York and London. 1918.
13. Chick, H, Martin, CJ. On the heat coagulation of protein.J Physiol. 1910; 4:404-430.
14. Hayun H, Arrahman A, Purwati EM, Yanuar A, Fortunata F, Suhargo F, et al.2018. Synthesis, Anti-inflammatory and Antioxidant Activity of Mannich Bases of Dehydrozingerone Derivatives. J Young Pharm10(2):6-10.
All articles in Jurnal Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia are an open-access article, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium.
This licence applies to Author(s) and Public Reader means that the users mays :
copy and redistribute the article in any medium or format
remix, transform, and build upon the article (eg.: to produce a new research work and, possibly, a new publication)
If you remix, transform, or build upon the article, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
It does however mean that when you use it you must:
- ATTRIBUTION: You must give appropriate credit to both the Author(s) and the journal, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
You may not:
- NONCOMMERCIAL: You may not use the article for commercial purposes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.